• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MRG 12/6/07 Opening Day!

reefer

Holy Shit!!!!!!!!
OK that's my TR

Bluebird skies to start day at 9:00, Snowing by end. Liftline at single non-existent after 11:00 am. Great Vibe. Tons of snow, got some knee deep in spots. Everything open as far as I know. Took everything off the single, Chute, Free Fall, Paradise, Catamount Bowl, Lynx, Beaver, Upper and Lower Glades, Canyon. Sick, sick sick. Tons of snow everywhere. Conditions were an exact repeat of the AZ gathering 4/6/07.
Also did a few runs off the double when the single shut down for a little while in the morning. This weekend will be fantastic at MRG! Great Hill. I don't know how anywhere else in the world could have been better than MRG yesterday! It was a piece of heaven on earth...........................it was a spiritual experience!

Notes: Forgot how steep Paradise is.......................yikes!

Philosophical Statement: I usually wait to late February/March to get my ass kicked by the Big Boy hills up north. I'm glad I did it now because it is a humbling experience and I have the whole year ahead of me to think about it. I go from a really good skier, probably in the 90% percentile at a place like Mt. Snow, down to an average joe at MRG, Bush, Stowe or Jay. Not that I don't love Mt. Snow, it's just different, and much more challenging up north (if you want it to be).

There's more pics in my gallery. Most suck but there are a few good ones if you're a MRG fan.
Too busy skiing to get the really good pics, and my first set of batteries froze. Had to wait til' lunch to replace them!

Last edited:

2knees

Way to get after it. Great pics. I've got to get there this year.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice, I've been waiting for a MRG opening day TR! Looks pretty effin awesome! I hope that I'm able to pull off a day like that this year... :snow:

Greg

Staff member
Holy crap. I feel woozy after looking at those pics. I stumbled across your album before you posted this and my jaw dropped to the floor. Tons of fluffy powder, and looks even better than 4/6. :-o

Guess it was a [thread="20919"]stupid effin question[/thread], huh? You must be glad you went. How was the new single? Probably didn't matter much given those conditions. How was the landing on the Paradise drop?

I've only been to MRG three times myself and scored quality days each time. When the conditions are right, it's like no other place.

danny p

first pic looks real sweet!! its awesome people are still getting pow days 3 days after the storm!!

wa-loaf

Wow, it looks like you almost had the place to yourself!

Greg

Staff member
I've got to get there this year.

You really don't even know how important this is. You probably would have trouble holding bodily fluids in...

reefer

Holy crap. I feel woozy after looking at those pics. I stumbled across your album before you posted this and my jaw dropped to the floor. Tons of fluffy powder, and looks even better than 4/6. :-o

Guess it was a [thread="20919"]stupid effin question[/thread], huh? You must be glad you went. How was the new single? Probably didn't matter much given those conditions. How was the landing on the Paradise drop?

I've only been to MRG three times myself and scored quality days each time. When the conditions are right, it's like no other place.

Was a stupid question. So glad I went. Snow may have been a little deeper than 4/6 in spots. Single is great. Same as old with no pole hooks however. Paradise drop was much higher than 4/6. Not even Chris would huck it where he did last year (close to 10 feet looked like). We both hucked the left side, maybe four/five feet. There was a "womans" tee around it, and it isn't where Brian disappeared to last year........My camera wasn't working when on Paradise unfortunately.

bvibert

Staff member

Thanks for the link to the album, I was gonna be lazy and not look for them... :eek: A ton of good pics in there, thanks!

Looks really really good!

roark

I go from a really good skier, probably in the 90% percentile at a place like Mt. Snow, down to an average joe at MRG, Bush, Stowe or Jay. Not that I don't love Mt. Snow, it's just different, and much more challenging up north (if you want it to be).
I feel the same way. Well, maybe a little lower than 90, but places like MRG are humbling & invigorating. Must get up north more this year.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Fantastic. My twins are going to ski MRG for the first time this year after learning at SB the last couple of years. My kids just don't know how lucky they are to live in the MRV.

You aren't, by any chance, looking to adopt are you? I kick ass a doing chores, especially cutting and splitting firewood.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Fantastic. My twins are going to ski MRG for the first time this year after learning at SB the last couple of years. My kids just don't know how lucky they are to live in the MRV.
That's an understatement!!!! :eek: I'd love to move to the MRV before the kids get much older. I think it would be so great for them to have MRG as their home mountain. Alas, the job market doesn't seem to be cooperating with my plans... :-x