• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke, VT: 12/08/07

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Met up with awf170 and from_the_NEK at Burke and this pretty much sums it up:

20071208burke03.jpg

I gotta boggie down to Tilton for an event with my better half. More news at 11!

:snow: :spread:

awf170

More news at 11!

I'm anxiously awaiting. Sadly, I think I will be asleep by then. Such an amazing day.

You know it is good when the last run of the day looks like this:
IMG_3519_2_.jpg

IMG_3520_2_.jpg

IMG_3526_2_.jpg

thigh deep...

And one of from_the_nek from the morning before my camera crapped out on me.
IMG_3508_2_.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Man, am I pooped. Boot deep every run open to close. First two runs were essentially untracked top to bottom since we got started at the mid-Burke so we had a full chair head start on those coming up on the Willoughby Quad. General rule was a foot and a half on top of a slightly consolidated base. The snow had setup so was a dense variety of snow that preferred pitch to flats. Chewed up dense snow was a work out so we tried to keep it to the untracked, mostly in the trees which held out nicely all day and we got untracked boot deep straight to the last run. awf170 was Mr. Cliff Jumper today and nailed several 10 footers with Steezy style. from_the_NEK nailed a few as well. I dropped one or two from the ladies tee only around 7-8 or so. Lots of snow snakes and sh*t in the woods. It was hard to hold back though and I had a few rough landings accordingly. One core shot, minor base damage. Doubt any one else was skiing boot deep at a ski area this weekend, so well worth it. Some snow squalls through the day, untracked will be hard to find tomorrow but the snow is great regardless.

Full Report and Photo Gallery

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yea, those photos don't really tell much of a story. First, there is a photo of you in mid-air, and then the next photo is just a shot of the cliff and the trees and a lot of white. Probably would make for a good before and after but I figured I would stick to the action shots :D How you got your poles perfectly parallel above your head is amazing.

awf170

How you got your poles perfectly parallel above your head is amazing.

Years of practice. You can't just get great form like that overnight. Maybe someday you will be able to have such grace and technique in the air. :razz:

Seriously though, trying to keep good form in the air has to be one of the hardest things for me to learn. No matter what I tell myself before take off it is back to flailing in every direction right after take off. I think if you flap your arms hard enough in the air the landing will be softer... (at least that is what my body thinks)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Seriously though, trying to keep good form in the air has to be one of the hardest things for me to learn.
You're just to damn tall for your weight ;) When I do airs, I usually kick off the lip and bend my knees upwards towards my center of gravity and pull my arms in. I just feel more in control and stable in the air with my extremities closer to my center of gravity. Then I extend slightly to absorb the landing. Not sure if that is just personal preference or if that is generally applicable best practice.

awf170

You're just to damn tall for your weight ;) When I do airs, I usually kick off the lip and bend my knees upwards towards my center of gravity and pull my arms in. I just feel more in control and stable in the air with my extremities closer to my center of gravity. Then I extend slightly to absorb the landing. Not sure if that is just personal preference or if that is generally applicable best practice.

Your way is the definitely the right way. I can do it when I go off smaller stuff and land on groomers, but when I try to go decently big I get scared and just start to flail.

Here is a pic of what I consider perfect form:
biglines_50759.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Grabbed a short video when the show was coming down hard and made for poor photo taking conditions. Really surprised about the quality of video from my Cannon a630. Camcorder prices better start coming down and quality better start improving significantly (ie 3ccd entry level camcorders for $300ish) because digital cameras are starting to have decent enough quality that it is hard to tell the difference once the video has been youtube-ized. The camcorder market needs to do better to draw in customers. With digital camera quality like this and prices and quality of camcorders not align with my expectations, I am not yet committed to finding a replacement for my broken camcorder.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I had a great time Saturday. :beer: Sweet pics and video from both of Riv and awf. That movie from the W** Slot did come out quite nicely considering the rate at which the snow was dumping. I wish every openning day could be that sweet! :snow:

Greg

Staff member
Grabbed a short video when the show was coming down hard and made for poor photo taking conditions. Really surprised about the quality of video from my Cannon a630. Camcorder prices better start coming down and quality better start improving significantly (ie 3ccd entry level camcorders for $300ish) because digital cameras are starting to have decent enough quality that it is hard to tell the difference once the video has been youtube-ized. The camcorder market needs to do better to draw in customers. With digital camera quality like this and prices and quality of camcorders not align with my expectations, I am not yet committed to finding a replacement for my broken camcorder.

The Powershot A series do take decent videos. I've been using my A700 for most of my vids. The biggest limitation is the zoom which is only digital once you start "taping". I can use the analog zoom prior to shooting, but then it's fixed and it goes all digital and gets heavily pixelated.

This is on my wish list for Christmas:

http://www.circuitcity.com/sem/rpsm...inkid=j13459594k15308&affiliateid=k15308&mid=