• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 12-9-07

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Dec 9th 12-4:30

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: Cold some ice and packed powder

Trip Report: I let my wife get first chair this am so I was watching the kids until 12:00. I decided to start on Snowdon since I can park right at the lift. Snow was good with mostly packed powder and a bit of ice in spots. After a few runs I headed over to the gondola and made my way to the top. Took cascade,doubble dipper and powerline some bumps are forming on powerline for the first time I have seen this year. Most of those trails need some snowmaking...Lots of ice and some death cookies. Once I realized I made a mistake I headed back over to Snowdon to finish up the day. Best conditions to me are still on the natural trails. They are a bit thin but no ice to be seen. Snowdon is the place to be right now.
015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:

skiadikt

nice report. we also skied both days so i thought i'd toss my perspective in ... was anxiously anticipating an epic weekend after hearing the reports during the week and while very good, didn't quite turn out to be what i'd call epic. in fact the surprising thing for us was the run of the weekend was a snowmaking trail ... VERTIGO! probably the dryest, most talcum powdah-like snowmaking of the year so far. been years since i've seen it so good. by late sunday morning started to set up with huge moguls on the headwall. think we lapped the thing 8 times. our favorite nat runs of the weekend were the old upper needles liftline, escapade & vagabond. other nat runs like north star & west glade were good saturday but pretty trashed by sunday. on saturday, we did hit some snowden trees and got some nice powshots but also lots of snow snakes & junk. felt we were picking more than ripping. other great runs were ovation, panic/needles & conclusion - surprisingly again snowmaking trails. ovation had pretty good bumps right on the treeline and huge whales in the middle. middle needles was a nice finish after the soft pow bumps on the old liftline. only drag was taking the snowshed crossover to get back. mid-downdraft still had nice bumps but the bumps lower were pretty "polished". the groomers (like cascade, superstar, skye lark) were skied only out of necessity and we found them to be rather icey by mid-morning each day.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Nice Dave. Playing around on the 1080s at all?

Geoff

My take:

On Saturday, the natural snow trails were the place to be... Escapade. Great Bear. Northstar. Vagabond. Old Needles Eye. On manmade snow, Conclusion was excellent. Upper Ovation headwall was a novelty.

Sunday, Vertigo ruled. I did a natural snow trail tour after lunch and nothing held up very well.

The woods aren't baked yet.