• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - 12/9/07

bigbog

Date(s) Skied:............December 9, 2007(Sunday) ....Successfully escaping the wkend crowd.

Resort or Ski Area:....Sugarloaf, ME.

Conditions:................pp ....with areas still harboring ~8" of left-over, cutup pow

Trip Report:
Well without pictures...I think the most helpful info I have to tell is that conditions, namely temps and snow, as in most northern New England, are pretty typical of January up here...<YeeeHahh!!> and what's particularly nice is that nothing has really had a chance to melt into any form of ice underneath.
Even today's late afternoon snow was simply cutup packed powder as most trails have been left ungroomed and haven't been skied off to the extent that most late afternoon conditions arrive at.
Trails...the daily website is pretty accurate, but here goes my informal account...make that VERY informal...since today I was enjoying Atomic's 86mm Nomad Crimsons(demo) for the first time...WOW!...as well as being day #1 getting the hang of putting on/taking off my new daypack with my gloves on...another positive experience..Thankfully! I think I've just found my new carver/Everything ski..except for following a 12"+ night... Will be gliding across the 12"+ deep powder in my backyahd tomorrow morning in the newly mounted Liberty Hazmats...the widest things I'll have been on yet!..(maybe I'll try taping on the PowerShot A520!!! :lol: :lol:...)
Trails:
I don't believe Narrow Gauge has opened yet..(did not make a physical check!...sooo??).
Spillway, Sluice, Double Bitter, Buckskin(Timberline), Tote Road...all open and with the exceptions of both Sluice and Cribworks, all ungroomed...which I think with the outstanding temps...has been a great idea.

Last edited:

shwilly

I don't believe Narrow Gauge has opened yet..(did not make a physical check!...sooo??).

Upper Gauge was open all weekend. Lower was closed for racing. There was active snowmaking yesterday and a giant whale on the part of Gauge beside Cribworks. The upper upper part by the top of Spillway East looked nice but I never hit it. In general, I preferred the natural snow to the manmade stuff this weekend, despite the occasional thin cover.

bigbog

Hi shwilly...
So part of it was open fulltime eh'? Must have been pretty nice...is nice to have the natural stuff around so early in comparison to last winter.