• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - 12/8,9/07

shwilly

Date(s) Skied: 12/8/07, 12/9/07

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarloaf

Conditions: PP/chop, groomed, powder

Trip Report: This was Ms. Shwilly's and my first trip of the season. A weekend in the mountains was just what the doctor ordered, as we have been pretty frazzled from intense work schedules.

We were at a party in JP until after midnight Friday, so we didn't hit the road until 9 on Saturday and got to the hill a bit before 1. Unfortunately Spillway East was not running because of wind. From the top of Spillway West, we headed to Gondi Line and found nice, fluffy natural snow with some obstacles. This was fun, so we did it again, then I did Winter's Way while Ms. Shwilly headed farther east and ended up doing Bubblecuffer. The natural snow trails were great fun, great snow with some rocks on the steep parts and pussywillows or whatever those things are protruding lower down. Later we did Double Bitter and the run of the day, Pipecleaner. (At this time of year???) We were happy that we got our legs back so quickly and thrilled to be back in the mountains. We went 1-for-2 on the T-bar. There was a big rut/bump in the middle which we navigated successfully once, but sent me tumbling the second time. Oh well.

We went to happy hour at the Rack:beer:, got a good night's sleep in Stratton, and got back to the hill around 9:30. This time Spillway East was running. We were not core enough to find our way to the run we really wanted to do, so we did Timberline, perhaps the run of this day. There were tons of that wind-faceted untracked snow that is common at the Loaf. Many spruce saplings lost their tips to my edges. Later we had great runs on Double Bitter and Binder and a less-than-thrilling ride on scraped-off Hayburner.

Overall, the natural snow trails were just amazing, and the snowblown/groomed trails were ehhh by comparison. This was an incredible weekend :daffy:, probably the best I've had in December. We forgot our camera, sorry.