• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter 12/8

Date(s) Skied: 12/8/07, 12/9/07

Resort or Ski Area: Hunter Mt.

Conditions: PP, groomed, powder, hard pack

Trip Report: Hunter did an amazing job blowing snow this week despite challenging weather and power company requests to trun off the guns. Saturday and Sunday the grooming was the best they ever had. Never got really skied off. East Side/ Milky, Clif Ike, Heuga, Drop Off all came on line. Clairs was available as a reservered and carvable trail.

Bad news, the engine in the quad blew on Saturday afternoon. They took it out and put it in a truck for parts unknown. Supposedly, Poma recommended rebuilding it this past Summer and they did it at Poma's facility. Don't know what happened.

Funny though the trail conditions stayed great because of reduced trafic.

Wayout has a new feature, Wayout Glades. They cleared the left side of the trail where the guns used blow into the woods. We now 30' more to play in. Also noticed a new fan jet at the top of the Wayout.

Freestyle team built a kicker and zipper line on Broadway. Doubt it lasted.

dmc

It was a good day - starting to feel like ski season...

cbcbd

I third the good day. Was there yesterday for a few hours of needed turns. They did an awesome job and even though the middle of some trails were deadly by the end of the day the sides still had plenty to work off of (ie Cliff, Minya).
Freezing rain started around 3:30... hopefully that turned into the good stuff after I left.

kingslug

Was there Sunday. Wasn't happy about the quad being down , made the trip up 2x as long but the snow was good. No bumps to hop around in though.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I third the good day. Was there yesterday for a few hours of needed turns. They did an awesome job and even though the middle of some trails were deadly by the end of the day the sides still had plenty to work off of (ie Cliff, Minya).
Freezing rain started around 3:30... hopefully that turned into the good stuff after I left.

How long does it take for you to get there from Stamford?

2knees

Huh, ok... you don't have any driving estimates from any other major landmarks in CT, do you dmc? Like Hartford maybe?

2.5 almost everytime i've done it. Live 5 minutes south of hartford. Although, i've always done the 91/mass pike/87 south rt. Some people say to do the 84 to 87 north route.

Greg

Staff member
Huh, ok... you don't have any driving estimates from any other major landmarks in CT, do you dmc? Like Hartford maybe?

Two approaches from Hartford: 84 to the Thruway, or 44->7->23. The former may be better if roads are bad as it's mostly highway, but it's significantly longer. You're probably looking at 2:45 from Hartford if the roads are clear.

Greg

Staff member
2.5 almost everytime i've done it. Live 5 minutes south of hartford. Although, i've always done the 91/mass pike/87 south rt. Some people say to do the 84 to 87 north route.

Yep. That's an option too. If you're coming from Woodstock CT, Marc, your best bet is to hook up with the Pike in Sturbridge. It's in your best interest to avoid Hartford, Waterbury and Danbury along 84 if possible.

JimG.

Staff member
Was there Sunday. Wasn't happy about the quad being down , made the trip up 2x as long but the snow was good. No bumps to hop around in though.

I called to you twice from D lift but you didn't hear me.

My kids kept asking me if you were king of slugs.

kingslug

I called to you twice from D lift but you didn't hear me.

My kids kept asking me if you were king of slugs.

Damn, didn't hear you. Pretty hectic day, trying to keep track of the newbie we had with us. Amazing guy, 3 days on skis and he's skiing parallel. I'll see you on Friday.

cbcbd

Takes me between 2.25 and 2.5 hours to get from Stamford to Hunter...
What he said.

I left my house at 9:30am... was at the top of the mountain ready for a first run at 12:30 - 3 hours from house to downhill... not bad.

dmc

What he said.

I left my house at 9:30am... was at the top of the mountain ready for a first run at 12:30 - 3 hours from house to downhill... not bad.

I drive it once a week to our HQ...

There's a bunch aof ways i go... Lately been taking High Ridge...

cbcbd

I drive it once a week to our HQ...

There's a bunch aof ways i go... Lately been taking High Ridge...
Yep.
I'm right next to 95 so I take 287 up sometimes. If there's traffic I do High ridge to 684 - 84 - 87...