• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow - 12/8/2007

skijay

Date Skied: 12/08/2007

Resort: Mount Snow 11:30 to 3:30pm

Conditions: packed powder, decent coverage, cloudy, windy summit and some flurries.

Trip Report:
I arrived around 11:30am at Carinthia to find the Nitro Quad stopped. There was a line forming and I saw no line at the Heavy Metal double. I made my way over to the main mountain and as I approached the Grand Summit Express Quad, I was surprised as there were only about 10 people there. I also saw the Summit Local turning but no one on any of the chairs. I rode up with someone and he told me that the GSE was broken down for an hour and they opened the Local. The GSE had just recently reopened.

It was windy at the summit and I did two top to bottom runs (Lodge & Exhibition & connector trails to get back to the GSE. Plenty of snow and not very crowded.

After this I headed over to the North Face. I spent the duration of the day skiing between Chute, Fallen Timbers and Free Fall. Basically the trail that runs under the Challenger lift was bumped up (Free Fall?), The trail on the left in the first picture below had smaller bumps (Fallen Timbers?) and flat sections and the trail on the right was steep and flat (Chute?). Overall the conditions were great, very mid winter like.

I did ski Plummet once. There was a thin cover sign, and at first there was plenty of snow until the midway section where there were saplings and weeds and some rocks showing through.

To wrap up the day I headed back over to Carinthia and did two runs, Mine Shaft to Prospector to Titanium and then the Titanium top to bottom for my last run.

Here are a few pictures from my camera phone.
North Face trails:

1208071322.jpg

Plummet:
1208071344.jpg

Ripcord:
1208071239.jpg

reefer

I was there Saturday! Was on first chair at 7:50! Tore up the North Face til' noon, then ripped a couple down Uncles and a few down One More Time on the Main Face before heading out at about 2:00. Six straight hours! The North Face was totally different before 11:00, then the masses started coming over. Jaws, PDF, Plummet, Epiphany, and Challanger were the best! Was skiing right onto chair. Coverage was unbeleivable! Here's a few pics I took early in the day, was kind of lonesome out there!!!!!!!!!!!!
They could use a refresher storm right now

Last edited:

roark

I've just got to say a great big THANKS to the folks at Snow for opening trails like Plummet, Jaws, and One More Time. Heard a few people complaining about trails that shouldn't be open due to thin cover... I'm sure some of them made it to customer service with their thoughts. But since I didn't, I'll say it here.

Thanks for giving the skiers/riders the option to choose if we want to ski a "thin cover" trail!

bvibert

Staff member
I've just got to say a great big THANKS to the folks at Snow for opening trails like Plummet, Jaws, and One More Time. Heard a few people complaining about trails that shouldn't be open due to thin cover... I'm sure some of them made it to customer service with their thoughts. But since I didn't, I'll say it here.

Thanks for giving the skiers/riders the option to choose if we want to ski a "thin cover" trail!

TOTALLY agree with you there! Although Jaws wasn't open and only lower Plummet (after PDF) was open when we were there on Wednesday there was still plenty of fine thin cover skiing to be had. Kudos Mount Snow!

reefer

Amen!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I was there Saturday! Was on first chair at 7:50! Tore up the North Face til' noon, then ripped a couple down Uncles and a few down One More Time on the Main Face before heading out at about 2:00. Six straight hours! The North Face was totally different before 11:00, then the masses started coming over. Jaws, PDF, Plummet, Epiphany, and Challanger were the best! Was skiing right onto chair. Coverage was unbeleivable! Here's a few pics I took early in the day, was kind of lonesome out there!!!!!!!!!!!!
They could use a refresher storm right now

Nice, Reefer....those pics look like their of Challenger. I love that trail when the "thin cover" signs are out...keeps out the riff raff.

How were the trees in Epiphany? Did you peek in at the trials? How are they looking...

reefer

Nice, Reefer....those pics look like their of Challenger. I love that trail when the "thin cover" signs are out...keeps out the riff raff.

How were the trees in Epiphany? Did you peek in at the trials? How are they looking...

Pics were of Challenger (definitely thin cover sign pic) and maybe PDF or Jaws. Olympic wasn't open so I never headed over in that direction to check the trials. I had plenty to play in. Epiphany has plenty of snow and is where I took my last couple runs on TNF. It was still closed but many were poaching even though right next to the lift. Plus you come out over on PDF/Plummet. I see it is now "officially" open.
Thin cover signs are my favorite!

skijay

I liked the fact that Plummet was open with the "thin cover" sign. I like a challenge.

This is my first season with a camera phone. There are two things I like about it, the battery does not "discharge" when cold so it is operational when I want to use it. The second it is less bulky than my digital camera.