• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHiteface 12/8 and 12/9

tjf67

Dates Skied 12/8 and 12/9

Area/ WHiteface

Conditions: MM PP HP

Got to the hill around 11:00 Sat morning to find snow all over the place. Mountain Run was opened and it was my first cahnce of the year to hit it. They were blowing snow and with the natural mixed in it turn into a 900 vert 28 degree bump run by one in the afternoon. Took a bunch of shots down that soft big bumps. Slamming them like it was our business. Went sniffing around and got into ravens haven in the afternoon. The Snow was plentiful. No hitting bottom. The ledges set up nicely and was able to get first hits on a few of them. Lots of them were already spoken for. They are only good for three four drops before they hurt. Was going down Approach and took a look at Empire and I slipped right onto the trail. Knee deep all the way down. Have to know where the rocks are or you will wreck your skiis. Never hit bottom.
Sunday got to the hill at 10:00 to find moutain run groomed down flat with packet powder. The moved the guns over to U thruway. Thruway bumped up with big soft lines. Down below they dropped the ropes and it was 20 inches of natural to get into. The powder compacted over night so it was more like a thick cake batter but you could get the bouncing going. With the compaction it made for a great base. Never hit bottom. Ventured into the woods. It was getting scraped but still skiable. Later in the day got Upper mac and upper wilderness. First tracks in heavy pow. Me and my bud boot packed up and got Niagria. We have been looking at it for two weeks. Thigh high powder shots. About 20 turns worth.

All is all the best early condition I have ever experienced. We skied ever trail on Little whiteface and never hit bottom. The gondi was walk up to both days by 1:30.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nice report. I was thinking of your concluding summary the whole read. You hardly every get the chance to ski pow at WF. It's been like that all over the place. I wish some of the mountain ops would set aside more "natural" trails, as opposed to the brutal grooming that is now in vogue. I'm happy to acquiesce some terrain, I'd just like to see a happy balance, lest they all become Okemos.