• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: Dec. 11, 2007 (Encore)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: December 11, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Burke Mountain

Conditions: P/MG/Crud

Weather: Mostly Cloudy, temps falling.

2007-2008 Report # : 10

Trip Report: Day 10. This was an extra day I threw in…taking a short break before exams. My parents convinced me to stay one more day…I really needed my arm twisted to stay :wink:

Got to the mountain at 8:40am and found that BMA was there getting ready for training on the Poma. Other than that, the usual small group of locals. DB recognized me and said hello. “Back for more?”

With a nod, I was out to grab my Monsters and head to the Quad. Saw the lifties, said hello, and was off.

First run was down a wonderfully groomed Willoughby. Snowmaking on Lower Willoughby has really progressed…some big whales. The grooming was nice and the freshies from yesterday groomed well. I made some nice short turns down Lower Bear Den to Lower Warren’s. I had to do one more run down this…screaming in to the Poma to take some runs before the BMA kids got the slope to themselves. I made three runs…two down Warren’s making some high speed arcs and one run down Lower Bear Den.

“Nice fast runs there…looks great,” said Zach the Poma attendant.

By this point, the BMA gates were set and they were getting ready for practice. So I headed to the Quad for some more runs off the top.

I had planned on ducking onto Wilderness for some more pow bumps, but en route I saw that Carriage Road was ironed out for the first time since Saturday. I hit it and found it to be in good shape, but thin in places. Some rocks had been kicked up by the groomer, but easily avoided. The Dippers were skiing great…the groomers had really worked out the death cookies.

After a break, I hit Wilderness and then jumped onto the Upper Little Dipper Head Wall, before doing my daily inspection of Boarderline. Wilderness was great. Little Dipper offered some less tracked snow, and Boarderline skied well…even if I turned up some dirt on one spot.

On the next run I was ready for East Bowl. The bumps were great and my Monsters handled well, but the driver was tired from four days of turns. My knees were sore. I took it easy and enjoyed the turns.

Next run was a Willoughby groomer to give the legs a break. I did jump onto Camper’s Carry to mix it up…I then decided to do a Toll Road/Upper Fox’s/Ledges Run. This would give me a nice groomed run, some soft snow without the dicey Meadow’s, and the opportunity to do my constitutional Ledge’s run. Good choice. Fox’s skied great. I made some great hop turns on Ledges and enjoyed the deep crud. No rocks and my legs handled it well. I headed down Lower Bear Den to the Quad. Lower Fox’s had some whales and frankensnow on it so I avoided it.

I did one more Willoughby run before heading over to hit Doug’s Drop. On this run, I jumped onto Doug’s from Toll Road, using the entrance closest to the Poma. I found some deep drifted snow and negotiated down the trail easily. The cover was excellent for that run…some thin spots, but easily avoided. I cut onto Lower Doug’s and picked my way around deep pow bumps. Great run.

By the time I got to the base, I saw that BMA had left the Poma. I skied over.

“We’re about to close, but we’ll let you take one more spin before we close.” I thanked Zach and the other liftie for their generosity…they could have just as easily said no. But they recognized me. Just shows that being nice to lifties does have its reward :wink:

With an appreciative thank you, I was off. Last Poma ride for the day. I decided to take Lower McHargs. I skied it well…better than I thought my legs would handle.

Well, I pushed it…did one more groomer run down Carriage Road/Dippers to cruise. And then pulled into the Lodge with no regrets. My legs were shot. My skis needed wax. I was hungry as well.

Had a quiet lunch and prepared to head out. Before I left, Mountain Ops VP Dick Andross saw me and said hello and wondered why I was not in school. Gotta love reading week. I should have told him that the original trailboss had sent me to supervise things…but it looked like that Dick and Mr. Worth, head of ski patrol, had things under control :wink:

Until next time… :beer: and :snow:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
:snow:
worthless.gif
:snow:

BLESS

I did last year, but I don't have a digital camera handy and I prefer to ski rather than stop and take pictures. :wink: That said, I will get a camera eventually.

cmon man. Those of u s with bad backs have to live viacriously through you. :)