• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown 12/12/2007 - night

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Date Skied: 12/12/2007

Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford CT

Conditions: hardpack, clear skies, 30 degrees or so

Trip Report: Bvibert and I met up with MRGisevil and MR.evil for a few turns tonight. Beautiful night to be out. Clear skies and hardly anyone there. No wait for the lifts at all.

Brian and I warmed up on Little Joe which was slippery hardpack. I had the Marie Martinods on tonight and they weren't too happy over there. After a couple warmups, Brian and I went over to Canyon Run. The snow was churned up a bit better in the middle of the trail. I cautiously made my way down, then we met MRGisevil and MR.evil at the top. Went down Canyon Run again, then switched over to Nor'easter. No moguls yet, in case anyone was wondering. By the end of the evening, I was ready to take on Temptor (the first time I've been on it). Apparently I needed to be taken down a notch :lol: because I took this one way too fast and had a spectacular wipeout going over a couple of small bumps. Lost both the skis and went flying down. I don't even remember much, just that when I stopped, my back and left knee hurt. And my pride, of course. ;) I decided to end the night there and I returned to the lodge while Brian, MRGisevil, and MR.evil took one more run down Stinger before calling it a night.

I still have a lot to learn. Boots aren't quite right either. But we had some great company tonight and even if I looked like a fool at the end, at least I'm progressing. Tonight I went down the trails faster than I used to (which is something I'm working on this season) with less and shorter stops.

No pics. I forbade Brian to take any of me. ;) But thank you again, MRGisevil and MR.evil, for a great night out! Hope I didn't hold you back too much! Looking forward to many more! :beer:

ETA: BTW, the Maries were great when we moved over off Sunnyside part of the mountain. I'm so glad I splurged on them. They're keepers! :D

Greg

Staff member
Nice! Glad you got out and were able to meet up with some other AZers. Gonna hit the mountain this afternoon or evening at some point...

Grassi21

Good stuff sev. Keeping cracking at it. I'm still taking my fair share of falls. It makes you better in the end. ;-)

bvibert

Staff member
It was a night nice to be skiing, even if the surface was a bit firm. MRGisevil and Mr.Evil are very nice people, they'll make a nice addition to the AZ crew at Hunter tomorrow. :D Severine you looked good, you took to the hard pack like a champ after a few warm-ups. I'm impressed that you gave Temptor a shot, you'll be banging the bumps with us in no time. ;)

I took out my head bump skis for the first time last night to give em a shot. Wow, I was impressed. Much more versatile than I thought it would be, even though there were no moguls to try them in. As expected they were also very easy to swing back and forth to make quick turns as one would need to do in the bumps. What I didn't expect was how good they'd be at carving turns (I use the term carving loosely due to my lack of ability ;) ). They are so narrow and straight that they're like ice skates, which with their sharp edges from their factory tune held onto the hard pack no problem when I put them on edge. I liked them better for that purpose than my old P50 GS skis...

Greg

Staff member
I took out my head bump skis for the first time last night to give em a shot. Wow, I was impressed. Much more versatile than I thought it would be, even though there were no moguls to try them in. As expected they were also very easy to swing back and forth to make quick turns as one would need to do in the bumps. What I didn't expect was how good they'd be at carving turns (I use the term carving loosely due to my lack of ability ;) ). They are so narrow and straight that they're like ice skates, which with their sharp edges from their factory tune held onto the hard pack no problem when I put them on edge. I liked them better for that purpose than my old P50 GS skis...

Sweet! Glad you like the bump skis.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Severine you looked good, you took to the hard pack like a champ after a few warm-ups. I'm impressed that you gave Temptor a shot, you'll be banging the bumps with us in no time. ;)
:oops:

If I didn't have that fabulous finale, I was going to try Stinger next. :-o

I'm really sore today. Knee feels a bit funky. Hopefully nothing bad. But at least I had fun. :D

ETA: Almost forgot. To add to what Brian was saying above, the Maries were not tuned after purchase either. ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Don't sweat it, Sev, I'll be sporting my scraped lip on Friday from when I tried to groom Salamander Cutoff with my face on Tuesday at Wachusett.

MRGisevil

Well, I for one had a great time. It was good company for my first time at Sundown (what a nice little mountain!) It was really nice to meet you both and thanks for the pro-tour of the hill :)

Sevie- I think you were doing great! I was really excited when you decided to go for Temptor. Don't sweat the fall so much- we all have them! (I'm reving up for the many falls I'm going to have at Hunter...) Definately looking forward to our next meet up & hope the knee is OK.

Greg

Staff member
Well, I for one had a great time. It was good company for my first time at Sundown (what a nice little mountain!) It was really nice to meet you both and thanks for the pro-tour of the hill :)

Glad you enjoyed our little haunt. Check back again. Once Gunbarrel (pretty steep) opens and the bumps are set up on Nor'easter and Exhibition, there's much more variety than what's there now...

bvibert

Staff member
Glad you enjoyed our little haunt. Check back again. Once Gunbarrel (pretty steep) opens and the bumps are set up on Nor'easter and Exhibition, there's much more variety than what's there now...

I think I sold them on the awesomeness of the bumps last night already... ;) Greg's right though, it does get a little boring there with only what's open now...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sevie- I think you were doing great! I was really excited when you decided to go for Temptor. Don't sweat the fall so much- we all have them! (I'm reving up for the many falls I'm going to have at Hunter...) Definately looking forward to our next meet up & hope the knee is OK.
Thanks for all your help last night! :D I may have let it get to my head a little bit, but at least I took a chance. ;)

See you next week! :beer:

Paul

Nice report, Sev.

Getting psyched to get out, I'll have to show this thread to the Mrs. Been trying to get her interested in Estrogen Night [superscript]TM[/s] We would like to get to Sundown for some warm-ups, maybe this weekend, as last didn't work out. We are heading to Cranmore on the 21st for the 70th anniv. Got free tix. Maybe that'll be this season's inaugural run...

Oops, sorry 'bout the thread-jack....

2knees

Thanks for all your help last night! :D I may have let it get to my head a little bit, but at least I took a chance. ;)

See you next week! :beer:

never let falls bother you, it'll just make you more apprehensive and probably more at risk of injury.

glad to see you got out, hope to catch up with you and brian at sundown this year.

Nice report Severine..going faster is a good thing..it means you have more confidence..last night at Blue was similar conditions..refrozen crud..