• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 12/13/2007

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Thursday, 12/13/2007, 2:50 pm - 6:45 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, Connecticut

Conditions: Puking snow. Powder.

Trip Report: Left for the mountain around 1:30 pm this afternoon. It normally takes me 25 minutes, but due to all the doofuses today, it took me over an hour. Met up with bvibert and downhill04 in the lot. There was probably close to 6" down already by the time we started.

The skiing was great. Some scratch still poking through. We hit all the major runs - Nor'easter, Stinger, Temptor and Canyon run. Each run got better as the snow got deeper. We even tried one of the tree runs. Not quite ready, but still fun to cruise through. Eventually all the trails become well covered with no more scrape to be found.

It puked the entire time. downhill04 went into the ski shop at one point to get some clear lenses (no luck) so Brian and I skied together for a while. He eventually had to quit to work around 4:45. I met back up with downhill04 and skied with him until around 5:40 when we ate. He took one more run after dinner and I kept at it until around 6:30. I then decided to leave and save some legs for tomorrow's Hunter powder day. Not easy to do so.

Awesome day. About as good as it gets in CT. Great to meet a new AZer in downhill04 who is not only a really great skier, but a cool guy and we convinced him to hit Hunter tomorrow! We picked up about a foot.

Vid coming...

Greg

Staff member
Vids are uploading...

2knees

I stopped the video after the shots of you guys hitting the lip on the skiers left about 1/3rd of the way down stinger. I love that hit, its been there forever. But more importantly, the spread and the mule/semi iron cross by downhill made me stop. NICE WORK GUYS! Damn fine skiing also.

upon further review, greg nice spread but DH04, holy shit nice. We got a ripper. If you dont mind me asking, what do you call the move you had off the kicker at the end of the vid. It seemed like some kinda grab, maybe a tail grab?

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Awesome day for skiing, not so much for working when your job is to walk around the base of the mountain making sure the lifts are running smoothly. Not only did it suck to have to work while everyone else was having fun, but that snow was really freaking hard to walk through. I just got in, as if I wasn't tired enough when I got home around 11:30 then I had to dig my car out of a foot of snow so I can leave tomorrow morning at the butt crack of dawn to meet Greg for our Hunter trip... I'm sure you're all sick of hearing me vent by now so I'll go to bed...

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Nice. CT woods skiin'. Looked a little boney in there but still, pow days at small aera make me feel like a kid a christmass.

awf170

Nice, vid Greg. Looks very good. So when are they going to start making bumps?

upon further review, greg nice spread but DH04, holy shit nice. We got a ripper. If you dont mind me asking, what do you call the move you had off the kicker at the end of the vid. It seemed like some kinda grab, maybe a tail grab?

Yes, DH04 definitely does rip. Not only that, but he also enjoys jumping off large rocks to completely flat landings, after hearing me yell "ouch, that sort of hurt" and after a recent knee surgery. :spread:

Greg

Staff member

There's been an official [post="215215"]call to action![/post]

downhill04

Not sure what I would call that. Maybe an Xed out tail grab with a kick ass wipe out. My neck is killing me today after drilling my brain bucket off the scratch under the powder. :oops:

downhill04

Yes, DH04 definitely does rip. Not only that, but he also enjoys jumping off large rocks to completely flat landings, after hearing me yell "ouch, that sort of hurt" and after a recent knee surgery. :spread:

I dont know why I wear a helmet. There obviously aren't too many brain cells in my head worth protecting. Anytime you want to huck off rock piles let me know. I am dumb enough to try anything once or twice or until I hurt myself :spread:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Very nice. The whole time watching, I'm thinking "this is the kind of day memories are made from" - beautifully perfect conditions, yet very, very rare. You guys were very fortunate. Good cal.