• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain 12/15/07

millerm277

A great start to the season (if a bit late), pretty good conditions on what was open, and massive snowmaking ongoing most of the day.

Main open trails:

Raceway-Closed for Race Training most of the morning, a bit firm afterward.
Midway-Nice powder skiers right, final drop turned icy in the afternoon.
Main Street-Soft bumps on skiers right, powder skiers left in the morning, became sort of irregular in the afternoon. (Could be powder or ice at any given spot, and the light became very flat).
Lazy Mile-Great conditions, tons of man-made powder on the edge of the trail skier's right.
Falls-Not sure if it was powdery or icy, just tended to bomb straight down it.

They were blasting away at Burma Road, Paradise, and Valley School all day, with a couple guns in other areas running. (Mostly on the connectors, and at the top of switchback.) Burma and Paradise should be ready to go as soon as they get groomed, Challenge has some whales built up on the left side, but not really enough to open it even if they flatten them out. Looked like they had a pipe burst toward the end of the day (3:30ish), they shut down all the guns on the lower mountain, and had the backhoe working, and the welding truck was heading up the mountain. (I'd expect it to be fixed by tomorrow).

The new trail looks amazing, looks like it could be open with a couple inches of natural.

I was there as well..from 7:30AM to 10:20AM and left when the runs got crowded..funny how you call the granuler sugar snow powder..lol..Today was my 15th day of the season and my 9th in a row at Blue...Here's my report from PASR.

I had a really fun AM session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at 7:15AM and it was in the low 20s and they were cranking snow on Tubing, Valley school west, Paradise, Burma Road, and the very top of the Sidewinder park. I started off riding the lift with Matt( the poster formerly known as Reynard). Atomic Jeff and Justin arrived shortly thereafter and then Toast and Noxidee joined out crew. Then we spotted Chippy and Eugene and they joined our crew followed by Nastar Glenn and M-Bike Mike. There were lots of familiar faces out and about. Terry and his buddy, Concussion Ted, GahSkier George, and the line cutter. The first runs was nice cord but it quickly became mad sweet and low sugar snow(loose granuler) as skier traffic increased. The race team was out in full force along with the Ridge ski team racers from Basking Ridge NJ. I also saw BMtroublemaker and Justo from the lift.

Toast already mentioned Eugenes major carnage..he's very lucky he didn't get injured. Blue really should set up some poles on the left side where you can go from Lazy Mile to Falls. That's a really conjested area. Nastar Glenn fell off the lift about 5 seconds after we loaded..he leaned forward to see my skis and slid right off. He only fell 4-5 feet. He was uber lucky it wasn't a few seconds later when the lift climbs abrupty to 15-20 feet off the ground. I asked him if he was O.K. and the only thing he injured was his pride. Miraculously he didn't mess up his skis..falling onto straight up graval. I skied Lazy Mile the most because it wans't as dangerous as Main Street. Main Street was too narrow with bumps on the upper half for all the traffic. There weren't any liftlines, just alot of people on Lazy Mile and Main Street. It will be nice when they open some more terrain in a few days to spread the people out. I quit at 10:20AM after 16 runs off the 6-pack. Then me, A-Jeff, Justin, and Noxidee went to the Blue mountain drive inn. There was some fresh roadkill that Justin hit with his lowered GTi and it messed up his side-skirts..he's had some bad luck with his car this weekend.

We had a delicious breakfast..I had two fried eggs with corned beef hash, toast and bacon. Atomic Jeff had a Ham and steeze omelatte with home fries, toast, and fresh sausage. I traded a strip of bacon with Atomic Jeezy for a little piece of fresh sausage..mmm juicy. Noxidee had Pancakes and homefires and Justin had an American Steeze omelatte with toast and homefries. Then on the way out of the Drive-inn..I hit the button on this Christmas chicken dance doll and it went crazy..mad steezy yo. Wow two ski sessions and two meals at the Booter mountain drive inn in under 24 hours. Now it's time to wait and see what happens with the upcoming storm. If it's sleet and freezing rain tomorrow morning, I'm going back to bed...Holla..

millerm277

I was there as well..from 7:30AM to 10:20AM and left when the runs got crowded..funny how you call the granuler sugar snow powder..lol..Today was my 15th day of the season and my 9th in a row at Blue...Here's my report from PASR.

Crowds vanished completely after about 2PM. (Raceway opened, and it seemed that the ski teams stopped practicing in groups of 50).