• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Campgaw - 12/15/07

ERJ-145CA

Date Skied: Thursday, 12/15/2007, 8:15PM - 10:00PM

Resort or Ski Area: Campgaw Mountain, Mahwah, NJ

Conditions: Manmade powder over ice, ice.

Trip Report: I was sitting at home on the computer around 5:00 after taking a nap and I decided to check out Campgaw's website, where I saw it said that they were open until 10PM tonight. With the area being only 10 minutes away from my house I said to my wife "Campgaw is open 'till 10 tonight" and she said "go if you want" so I decided to go after we finished dinner.

I got to the mountain around 8:05 booted up and got my lift ticket and was on the old diesel powered Hall double chairlift at 8:15. It was a nice clear cold night and I could see the George Washington Bridge from the lofty 720 foot summit. Only the main trail and the bunny hill were open so I skied all 270 vertical feet of the main trail, no mid station for me.

It never got above freezing today so the snow they made last night stayed powdery and the summit was nice man made powder. On the "steep" section of the trail the powder was mostly scraped off and it was ice until the runout which is the second half of the trial from mid station down. On the runout it was again well tracked man made powder. They closed at 10PM so that's when I left. I probably somewhere between 12 and 18 runs in the hour and 45 minutes I was there tonight and it was fun despite the lack of vertical and the fact that there was only one trail.

It was my first time night skiing in over 20 years and I'm glad I went. I guess I'm fortunate to have a ski area 10 minutes away, no matter how small. I can just run out if I have time and have some fun and get some turns in. At the end of January I'm moving and I'll be 10 minutes from Hidden Valley and 5 minutes from Mountain Creek so I probably won't visit Campgaw anymore after the move, but I'm sure I'll get to Hidden Valley for some night skiing from time to time.

Last edited: