• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 12/15/2007

Euler

Date(s) Skied:
12/15/2007
Resort or Ski Area:
Mount Snow
Conditions:
Packed Powder on Carinthia, assorted death cookies on Sunbrook
Trip Report:

Another great family ski day at Mount Snow. I was apprehensive about going at prime time on Saturday (we arrived at 10 AM), but the longest line we waited in was less than 10 minutes. Most lines were more in the order of 1-2 minutes.

We parked at Carinthia took the high speed quad up and started out with a great run down Titanium. It had a beautiful surface that was a nice coating of loose snow - it had been groomed recently enough that it was easy for everyone to ski, but enough time had passed and snow had come that it was more fun than out and out corduroy.

We noticed patrol dropping the ropes on Milky Way, the connector to Sunbrook so on our next run we headed over there. Being one of the first to ski Milky Way was no treat as it was a solid conglomeration of death cookies. It had the texture of a cobblestone street in Bostons Old North End. As we reached the bottom of the Sunbrook area we saw a huge line at the bottom of the Sunbrook quad. This was to be the longest liftline of the day for us, and the line is on a slight uphill pitch so it was a real challenge for my kids, who ski with no poles, to slowly inch forward up this incline for ten minutes.

The experiment with the Sunbrook quad of spacing the chairs further and running the lift faster seems not to be working yet. Maybe they'll work out the kinks, but people were having a hard time loading at the faster speed, and the lift seemed to be stopped more than it was moving as we rode it up. It was apparent from the lift that the trail surface was more of the cobblestone texture throughout much of the trail so we made a decision to hightail it back to Carinthia.

In the good news department Bear Trap, while not open when we skiied by was being seriously assaulted with snow guns and appeared ready to open at any time. The trail report lists it as being open for tomorrow.

We skiied Long John back to Carinthia where we skiied Nitro to the bottom. The kids both opted to ski the steep bumps on Lower Nitro this run, so I was forced to follow. While I can make it top to bottom on my feet on stuff like that, I've still got a long way to go in terms of having any grace or flow.

We took a lunch break, put in some toe warmers and went back out to find NO LINE at the express quad. Skiied Mineshaft to Stugger's shoot. Stugger's was deserted as always and my wife and I had a ball racing each other to the bottom. I can see why they use this trail for a GS course. While it doesn't have much of a pitch, it's the kind of trail that has lots of rollers and wide turns on and its just a ball to open up the speed.

Did a couple laps on the Heavy Metal double to end the day with more runs down Stugger's and a final trip down Prospector.

Besides the fiasco of going over to Sunbrook and back without bothering to ski over there it was a tremendous day!

Last edited: