• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

vechicle recommendations

tjf67

We have a 06 Honda Pilot EXL w DVD Great for long trips gets 22-24 mpg on trips and a 07 pontiac torrent gets about 22mpg. The Pilot has much more luggage room then the torrent and has the benifit of third row seats with three seat belts so you can take 8 although not much luggage room with the third row up. The torrent has more leg room for the back seat and it seems more room in the front seats and it fits in the garrage with the thule spirit box on and very good price.

Now the negatives, the pilot no power seat for passenger (hard to believe on a car with an MSRP of close to 40k) and towing of only 3500 lbs. The Torrent the same 3500 lb towing and not as much luggage room.

I second the honda pilot. I Drive a 4runner with the V-8 AWD. Takes the low grade gas and I average 21.8 MPG.

Repair costs are a lot cheaper. When I used to brung the Rover is for service no matter what it was always aroun 800 bucks. With the toyota it always comes in around 400.

Subis get horrible gas mileage for the power they produce. That my take on Subis.

SKIQUATTRO

i had a SAAB 9.3 Hatchback a few years back and it was awesome...also had the VW Passat Wagon and it was great as well....I'm a big fan of German/Euro cars...we'll look at all of em!

mlctvt

Subis get horrible gas mileage for the power they produce. That my take on Subis.

My '05 Legacy GT Limited wagon 5speed manual 24-27MPG, 250 HP 0-60MPH in 5.7 sec. Sports car performance, hauls a ton and gets decent mpg. Nothing else like it in it's price range. Unfortunately they no longer make this model because Americans don't buy performance wagons. My wife's WRX wagon is very similar.

Last edited:

campgottagopee

The majority of Subie buyers don't them for power---they buy them for there AWD system, reliability and overall safety. I would say that 20's in town and high 20's (pushing 30) on hwy is pretty darn good. Just sayin'

gmcunni

i have a 2000 Saab 9-3. With snow tires i can drive that car through anything! I used to take back roads home in snow storms for the fun of it, i'd pass SUVs who were creeping up hills. And you can't beat the hatchback for stuffing lots of gear and still have room for 4 people.

Wife has 2005 pilot. For large groups or long road trips it is a great vehicle BUT i'm not impressed with its performance in snow. Tires are a big part of it, it is leased so i'm not spending extra on good ones and the stock tires simply don't cut it in snow.

someone said it earlier, driver and tires are the keys for good/safe winter driving.

o3jeff

Wife has 2005 pilot. For large groups or long road trips it is a great vehicle BUT i'm not impressed with its performance in snow. Tires are a big part of it, it is leased so i'm not spending extra on good ones and the stock tires simply don't cut it in snow.

I think the OEM tires on any newer Honda/Acura are terrible all season tires. I have an TSX and the Michelin's it came with are terrible in the rain o snow. I just hate to put new tires on it while there i still tread on the old ones.

SKIQUATTRO

looks like the 2008 Volvo XC70 will be it...getting a good trade in value for the V8 Nissan Armada...good lease deal with dual rear seat DVD system....tired of spending $85/week on gas in the Armada...we ran the numbers, will be saving approx $5K/year between payments and gas ....

WJenness

The last generation Passat was the same as the A4 with an extended trunk. Don't know if that's true of the new gen's, but the new gen A4's are bigger than the previous ones anyway. I'm pretty sure the Passat still shares a frame (possibly modified) with the A4, they'd have no reason to engineer a completely new and different one.

Up through the 05 model year, the Passat and A4 shared a platform (B6 and the B5 before that), when the A4 went to the B7 platform, the Passat went elsewhere. They will continue to be separate as the B8 platform is rolled out in the Audi line (A4/S4/A5/S5), and the Passat will do its own thing.

Rumor: I heard the V6 Twin Turbo powerplant is coming back to the S4 once the B8 starts hitting the streets... if that's the case, I know my next car...

-w

SKIQUATTRO

picked up the 08 Volvo XC70 3.2 AWD last night...got it too late to play around with it...roof racks go on this weekend.....

SKIQUATTRO

unfortunatly no skiing until we head up to Smuggs Jan 11-16...we are booked everyweekend until then....

SKIQUATTRO

if you see an ICE WHITE Volvo with a Thule Cargo Box and NY Plates in the Mt Southington parking lot some weekend, thats us....I grew up in Portland, folks just moved to a condo in Berlin..so we stay there and ski Southington with the kids...its perfect for them