• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who loves their boots?

Do you love your boots?

• Love em'

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • Hate em'

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Eh, they're alright.

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

wa-loaf

Do you have a lift on your everyday shoes? Have you always known about the leg legnth difference or did Jeff discover it?

No, Jeff discovered it. It's never really been a problem for me, he asked me about back pain and stuff, but no real issues there. He started by putting the canting shins in to align my leg and it was like 1, 2, 3 degrees, wait a minute . . . checked my legs again and put a full shim under it and a .5 degree cant and everything lined up.

trtaylor

No, Jeff discovered it. It's never really been a problem for me, he asked me about back pain and stuff, but no real issues there. He started by putting the canting shins in to align my leg and it was like 1, 2, 3 degrees, wait a minute . . . checked my legs again and put a full shim under it and a .5 degree cant and everything lined up.

Kinda same thing here...never knew I had an issue until I went to a boot fitter. My difference is about 1/2" and I've decided to ignore it. I am able to get aligned w/o a lifter, so was a little concerned about the difference in turning I'd experience if one boot had a large lifter on it. I'll be interested in hearing your experiences.

Rook

Website
myspace.com
I dig my Nordica Speedmachine 14's. I had been in Lange race boots and decided to tone it down a bit into a cush performance boot. I like the fit, the toe box is a little small and the liner could use a little more heel pocket but its a give and take world with performance and comfort. For all day comfort and performance, they excel. Nordica claims a flex of 120/140 but I have no trouble flexing / driving either setting. I'll have to see how they change when the summit of the Loaf hits negative digits.

freebie

I've been on Nordica beast's or 3 yrs now, and until this fall when I went to see Jeff they were not my favorites, now I love em, going back this morning to get some grinding and toe lifts, then I should be all set

wa-loaf

I'll be interested in hearing your experiences.

I'll report back once I get it done, probably won't be until mid Jan till I can get back to Jeff. The only thing I really notice on the left leg is in skiing that's the ski that gets squirrily at high speed and is more likely to hang up in crud.

Grassi21

Garmont Adrenalins.

4th season, second set of liners.

Great boots.

I'm a long term planner. As stated earlier in this thread, I love my Nordica Beasts. I already have 26 days in these boots. After this season I think I can get another two seasons before I need to replace the liners. So I anticipate using my alpine boots for a number of seasons to come.

But, in another season or two I hope to invest in an AT rig. I'm hoping to get into touring some of the NELSAP areas (someone mentioned this in the AT vs Tele thread and I thought it was a great idea for getting started with touring) and exploring some stuff in CT and MA.

So Jim (and Austin as well), I noticed you guys are on your AT set up when skiing in bounds. Any pros or cons regarding an AT set up in bounds? I learned a lot from the other thread I mentioned but am curious to hear more.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm a long term planner. As stated earlier in this thread, I love my Nordica Beasts. I already have 26 days in these boots. After this season I think I can get another two seasons before I need to replace the liners. So I anticipate using my alpine boots for a number of seasons to come.

But, in another season or two I hope to invest in an AT rig. I'm hoping to get into touring some of the NELSAP areas (someone mentioned this in the AT vs Tele thread and I thought it was a great idea for getting started with touring) and exploring some stuff in CT and MA.

So Jim (and Austin as well), I noticed you guys are on your AT set up when skiing in bounds. Any pros or cons regarding an AT set up in bounds? I learned a lot from the other thread I mentioned but am curious to hear more.

I'll ski on my AT gear inbounds, but more so in the early and late season. Right now I'm on my RX8's and using the DIN sole on my Adrenalins.

If my boots fit and perform correctly, it really does not matter what is attached to those boots, I will ski fine.

However, AT bindings are more complicated than alpine bindings and can break down more frequently. I would not recommend AT gear full time if you weigh over 220 lbs.

I've skiied a pair of Fritschi Freerides for the better part of 4 seasons full time and never broke them, even skiing bumps.

Grassi21

I'll ski on my AT gear inbounds, but more so in the early and late season. Right now I'm on my RX8's and using the DIN sole on my Adrenalins.

If my boots fit and perform correctly, it really does not matter what is attached to those boots, I will ski fine.

However, AT bindings are more complicated than alpine bindings and can break down more frequently. I would not recommend AT gear full time if you weigh over 220 lbs.

I've skiied a pair of Fritschi Freerides for the better part of 4 seasons full time and never broke them, even skiing bumps.

Thanks Jim. Thankfully I'm under your weight limit. ;-)

As I said, I'm hoping to use my Beasts for a number of years to come. The AT set up would be more of a supplement to my existing gear and give me the ability to do more exploring.

freebie

after skiing today for the first time after my final adjustments, I really love my boots, suddenly(difference between last week and this week) I can ski stuff that kicked my butt before with confidence, my feet feel great, I can really put some power into my edges now and my tips don't chatter as bad anymore, even tried my first glade runs(easy ones with moderate tree spacing, some bumps and obstacles) and wasn't too nervous, Jeff did an awesome job for me, definitely worth the investment

after skiing today for the first time after my final adjustments, I really love my boots, suddenly(difference between last week and this week) I can ski stuff that kicked my butt before with confidence, my feet feel great, I can really put some power into my edges now and my tips don't chatter as bad anymore, even tried my first glade runs(easy ones with moderate tree spacing, some bumps and obstacles) and wasn't too nervous, Jeff did an awesome job for me, definitely worth the investment

Microadjustments are the bomb..my boots are starting to get dialed in but I have more Microadjustments to make....In bumps a sloppy boots sucks..in other conditions it's more tolerable but still sucks. Cramming your foot into a boot 3 sizes to small also sucks. I'd rather be one size smaller and be comfortable than 2-3 sizes smaller and have to unbuckle for relief every run..,my inflation adjusted 4 cents..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I have a love-hate relationship with my boots. Though it's more like like-hate. But then again, I already know they're wrong for me now. Just trying to get by for one more season before I replace them - no $ for boots this year. Definitely going to have them done right next time though. These boots are too tight in some places, too loose in others, and the shell is too long. Slop when it's cold, hurt when it's warm. I could go on and on. Spending the money to go to a reputable bootfitter is well worth it IMHO. Can't wait til I can. :D

skibum9995

I have Nordica Dobermann Pro 130s and absolutely love them. The power and response is unmatched compared to everything else I've tried. I replaced the velcro straps with Booster straps this year and made the performance even better. As much as I like these boots I'm thinking about switching to the 150s next year because I want something with a little less volume and really like the idea of a lace up liner.

awf170

I have never skied in a good boot before, so really have no basis for comparison. Before my AT boots I had a crappy pair of intermediate boots that didn't really fit. They feel decent to me, but I assume once I try a good alpine boot that opinion will change. Though I really don't have a stiff or heavy AT boot, my boots are a lot more touring oriented then Jim's. I would say that the boots Jim has would be just fine for everyday skiing.

About the bindings. They seem fine to me. I constantly jump of stuff around 8-10 to flat, icy landings (like at Hunter) and they have survived so far. Though I only weigh 135 pounds, so that might have some effect on me thinking they are a very durable binding.

Anyway, I think I'm actually going to pick up some alpine boots in the off season. I figure if I keep skiing like this and keep going bigger of stuff I am going to break AT gear in time. Also, after about 80 days this season my boots will probably be pretty beaten up, and won't be able to take another season of abuse. At that point I'll probably designate them to a pair of dynafits then get a pair of alpine boots and alpine boards.

Dr Skimeister

I can finally chime in here, at last having had the chance to ski my new Atomic Hawx 110's. Very comfortable, very responsive. And this is based on a first day out in them. I was worried because I at times had some big-toe metatarsal discomfort when I wore them around the house after getting them last week. But on the snow, on skis all day I never had the least bit of hurt. I expect they'll get even more comfortable as they continue to break in. And quite the difference getting into/out of these compared to the Lange Race L10 I've skied the last 3-4 years.

wa-loaf

I can finally chime in here, at last having had the chance to ski my new Atomic Hawx 110's. Very comfortable, very responsive. And this is based on a first day out in them. I was worried because I at times had some big-toe metatarsal discomfort when I wore them around the house after getting them last week. But on the snow, on skis all day I never had the least bit of hurt. I expect they'll get even more comfortable as they continue to break in. And quite the difference getting into/out of these compared to the Lange Race L10 I've skied the last 3-4 years.

Are these the boots you won? Aren't they supposed to be flexible in the sole somehow? How did that work for you? Seems counterintuitive to what you want in a boot.

Dr Skimeister

Are these the boots you won? Aren't they supposed to be flexible in the sole somehow? How did that work for you? Seems counterintuitive to what you want in a boot.

Yep, these are the boots that came gratis from Atomic with the Nomad Crimsons.

And yep, the claim is that there is a flex between the ball of the foot and the heel. I skied at Catamount today on hard pack and ice. Emphasis on hard pack and ice. I'm sure that the Nomads with their 88mm under-foot are not the ideal ride for these conditions, but they seemed to get up on edge easily enough, and how much of that is the ski and how much is the boot I'm not sure. More likely the combo of the two made for easier edging of the wider ski on the hard surface. I'm anxious to play the boot/ski/binding on some softer conditions soon.