• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how long will boots last?

freebie

realistically how many days of skiing can one expect to get out of a pair of good boots, I know it depends on how hard you ski how much you sweat etc, just looking for an average figure

campgottagopee

As you stated there are a lot of variables, but IMO you should get 150-200 days of skiing out of a pair of boots. When I was teaching, by the end of the year my boots were trashed. A full-time instructor is on snow around 150 days so that's where I get my number from. Others???

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Do you change at the car or in the lodge? Me, I'm cheap and don't like the crowds in a lodge, so I change at the car and have been getting about 150-200 days.

freebie

I change in the lodge, mostly because I usually have the little lady with me, and we ski weekdays so there isn't much crowd in there anyhow, having spent alot on fitting canting riser plates etc I try to take care of them a little bit, I'm gonna get some protectors for the bottoms next week so I can walk lots if I need to without too much worry

snoseek

I usually get about 200 days. Make sure your boots are dry after each use, If using daily they seem to beat up faster. duct tape the heals at the first sign of tearing.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I would go with approximately 250 days though more would be possible. Then again, I have a habit of pushing gear towards the breaking point (but will not except sub-par performance).

Charlie Schuessler

150 - 200 Ski Days

I believe that proper boot fitting is paramount of boot life span. I also take good care of them, cleaning inside and out, lubricating the buckle adjustment screws, airing the boots indoors all year round by removing the liners and footbeds. That being said I’ve been able to get the most of 200 ski days from the boots I use.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I try to keep the bases as pristine as possible by not walking in them on pavement or concrete, where using the rubber cat-track base protectors is necessary. Unnecessary releasing is not a good thing to happen, so I keep the toe/heel piece edges trim and square...

koreshot

I have around 200 on mine. The shell seems pretty solid still, but the liner is just about dead. I will probably upgrade next year.

crank

I have around 300 days in my boots and I am just starting to notice some issues. This will be their last season. I could see where ski instructors or patrol who live in their boots on a daily basis would wear them out faster, especially the liners.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A couple of life extenders/reducers:

- Whatever you do, don't store them in the attic. The heat will certainly break down the plastic.

- I try to minimize walking around in my boots - wearing down the heel and tip may cause the bindings not to release properly.

If your boots are more than 15 years old, even with few days on them, I'd be thinking twice. Materials before that time were still in flux and I witnessed a lot of bust-outs of buckles and liner breakdowns. IMO Since that time, there have been no great advances in boots as far as the ordinary skier is concerned.

And no, I don't sell boots or bindings!

drjeff

I believe that proper boot fitting is paramount of boot life span. I also take good care of them, cleaning inside and out, lubricating the buckle adjustment screws, airing the boots indoors all year round by removing the liners and footbeds. That being said I’ve been able to get the most of 200 ski days from the boots I use.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I try to keep the bases as pristine as possible by not walking in them on pavement or concrete, where using the rubber cat-track base protectors is necessary. Unnecessary releasing is not a good thing to happen, so I keep the toe/heel piece edges trim and square...

Most of the time, when a boot is in need of replacement, it's NOT because of sole wear, but because of a "packing out" of the liner. A properly fitting liner/boot should be SNUG. With wear, the foam/whatever else the liner is made of, will compact, thus allowing "wiggle room" This is where the loss of performance starts :( Myself, at 6'3" and depending on the year 220 or so odd lbs. I notice a significant amount of packing out of my liners after 125-150 days (I average 15-20 runs each day out)

millerm277

I'd say you should expect at least 125-150 days as a minimum. It all depends on how you treat them, and the durability/wearing of that specific boot..etc.

Personally, my boots are older than me. My dad had them, I tried them on, and they fit me perfectly. Bought a pair off ebay for $20 (his were worn out from 15+ years of use), and have at least 100 days on them now. A little bit heavier than modern boots, but a very good fit, and nice and warm.

The Cattracks will protect your boots when walking in the parking lot/on other hard surfaces, but they can be a bit of a pain. A good idea is to spend an extra $20-30 when buying the boots and get a set or two of replacement heels. (I can't do that for my boots, but my school has a small CNC, so I made some for myself).