• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 12/29 + 12/30

drjeff

Date: 12/29 + 12/30

Resort: Mount Snow

Conditions: Variable

Trip Report:

The 1st 2 days of my New Years Weekend at Mount Snow had a HUGE range of conditions. Saturday 12/29 dawned with a really low cloud layer, light mist, a light glaze of ice on my car and temps in the mid-30's. Crowds were small early, lots of dripping from the chairs/lift towers early, and wide open "hero snow" all over the mountain! Even cover on most of the natural snow trails was still good! Where the groomers hit the trails it was like carving through a soft block of cream cheese, where they didn't hit there was a very thin, and easily breakable crust of ice over about an inch of snow from Friday that was a blast to ski on,

Both Stugger's Chute and Lower Overbrook were my favorites and received many laps over the day from me and my wife. Crowds started building towards lunch as the weather improved, and th sun started poking out mid-day from time to time.

Sunday 12/30 had colder temps with a freeze up over night. This gave the classic New England machine groomed post freeze up granular surface where the cast hit post freeze, a "solid" corduroy where they hit pre-freeze up and a "glazed" surface in the sun where they didn't hit! Fan guns and ground guns had Snowdance, Standard, Stugger's Chute, Chute, and Deer Run softer. Very busy day on the hill and with the combination of tired legs from yesterday and the possibility of a powder day tommorrow, my wife and I quit around lunchtime.

On a side note, the greater Deerfield Valley right now is about as full as I've ever seen it. It will be a VERY GOOD week for the local economy!

Method9455

Sounds good for the businesses + good outlook for snowmaking. Its too bad you got the dreaded freeze up mid trip but if you get powder tomorrow it will make up for it. I'm leaving for a 5 day trip to Mount Snow next monday, I did a trip there last year January 2 - 5 and they had 40 trails open! It looks like almost 100% this year, what an improvement.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
we are considering this for Monday 12/31. Hoping we get at least 6", that should make all the diff. Snowing in Lexington now.
Am worried about how wet this new snow will be. is there a weatherman in the house?

drjeff

and having been there on 12/31 I can attest that both statements are true. 8)

Another 4" was down when I left at around 12:30 today (1/1) and it was absolutely puking snow still. Should be amazing through the weekend, although Thursday and Friday are looking a bit chilly!