• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: 12/30/07 (Another GREAT Day)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: December 30, 2007

Resort: Burke Mountain

Conditions: MG and VC.

Weather: Partly cloudy, highs in the low 20’s.

2007-2008 Trip Report #: 19

Trip Report: De ja vous…well not quite. Despite spending another fun night hanging out with a certain cute girl, I got up early and headed to the mountain for some more turns with the “Dawn Patrol.” I called the snowphone before leaving and was very :D to learn that the mountain had groomed 28 of 35 runs. Translation: lots of fresh corduroy on all my favorites. So I definitely had to go. It was like skiing Burke when I was a kid: lots of folks, lots of great snow, lots of perfect grooming, and frost covered trees.

I had no problem securing my parking spot, which probably should be reserved considering I have been here six out of the past seven days. I rendezvoused with the original trailboss and his wife. Matt and Mary came and we were off.

We got the fourth chair up. At the top, the sun was rising over the Kingdom. Amazing. The original trailboss was very satisfied that we had a full selection of groomed runs under our ski tips. He chose East Bowl for the first course. Wise choice (which comes as no surprise). It was immaculate. We got the first tracks other than ski patrol. For three of the five of us, it was the first run down it this season. We could not believe how well it skied for DECEMBER. We’re talking edge-to-edge corduroy and SOLID bases. I had my 110cm skis on today and was enjoying the snow.

We were all :D . After a slight adjustment by the original trailboss, we headed back up. Powderhorn was the next run and it was amazing as well. Groomed to perfection and amazing. Perfect morning. When we got to the last knoll, Matt suggested we hit Dipper Doodle, and we did. I scored first tracks, taking my usual course on the right side. The groomers had done a great job ironing it out…with all but the very top pretty much perfect.

Next run was the usual Willoughby-Lower Bear Den-Lower Fox’s Combo, which skied very well. Groomed edge-to-edge.

We then hit Powderhorn and headed in for a short break. After that, we did a run down the west side with the original trailboss and I storming down the groomed portion of Upper Fox’s Folly and Shoot, before picking out way through the Meadow’s to Willoughby where we rendezvoused with everyone else. That turkey hat wearing Matt had blown all the corduroy of the trail :wink: I suggested Lower Willoughby and we found it to be nice…though traffic was heavy, the wet snow from yesterday set up really well, adhering to the base and when groomed, it was fast and solid. When skiers and riders hit it, it stayed in place and did not get scraped down to ice. It was nice.

The last run with the ‘Patrol was down Carriage Road to Dippers and then across the ‘goat path’ to McHarg’s Cutoff. Carriage Road was a bit congested and scraped. Dippers was getting busy too. We had the McHarg’s Portion all to ourselves. The upper part has A LOT of snow and the lower part was groomed to perfection. The bumps, however, proved too much for the original trailboss’ sore back, so they called it quits.

We had a beer and hung out in the Bear Den Lounge for some time. After an hour, I headed back out for more. This is where it gets interesting.

With my 110 cm skis on, I decided to hit Wilderness. That trail usually holds snow well and today was no exception…it was pretty much mint. That new snow set up really well…and there was not too much of a crowd. I found some good lines and then zoomed down Powderhorn, hitting the left of the knoll, and then cutting back hard to Lew’s Leap. This trail had also set up well…deep snow…deep enough for me to ski the right hand side for probably the first time I can recall. I skied right along to the bamboo poles and then cut left into the chute and out. Nice bumps and nice snow. A fun trail.

I was bummed that the Poma was broke…I heard it was a broken gear box and that could mean closure for up to a week. So it was back to the quad. I decided to do Upper Fox’s to the Meadow’s and Ledges. I braced myself for the bumps…anticipating ice and hard snow. Instead I found soft snow and nice lines! I was loving it…staying on the right hand side. I cut onto the Meadow’s and found more good crud on the side and a nice line. I was popping some nice turns and then came to the Headwall. It looked good. It was. I was so happy to be back on probably my favorite run on the mountain (variable conditions and terrain, a steep pitch, a jawdropping view, make this a true “big mountain” run). I took my usual line on far right enjoying deep crud. I made the turn onto the path to Fox’s and found more crud and good bumps. Having heard that The Gap was good, I tried it. The corduroy was still unskied in many places at 12:30pm. It was a nice change of pace.

I was really stoked that the snow was as good as it was, so I decided to go into the woods. When conditions change like this, Sasquatch, much like Wilderness, remains fairly consistent in terms of snow and skiability. I dove into it and found soft snow and great lines on it and the powerline. I cut onto Wilderness and then to the Dippers and Mountain Marsh. Marshland was decent, but a bit slicker. Still fun. I cut over to Boarderline, which was slick. I learned from this run and others where the “snow/icing line” was: it ran in a line across the mountain, starting at the Pavilion and over across McHarg’s to about the mid Poma Station, and then across to the Bear Den Pumphouse. Everything not groomed, including the woods I skied, were soft above this line, and icy below it.

Next run was Bear Den to Meadows and then my choice line down Ledges. Awesome. I got to ski pretty much almost down the center of the headwall…which I have only done once before. Fox’s Folly was great…with me hitting far left before cutting across to fresh corduroy on McHarg’s Cutoff. I sampled Little Chief and found it to be too slick for my liking, so I ducked out.

I did one more run and came across a secret, unnamed and unmarked stash that I am christening “Chainsaw Dance.” I ducked into it to find tight woods with great lines and some nice snow. I picked my way through it, zooming through some sections, before jumping out of it and making my way somehow to Ledges. It was only appropriate that I ski the direct center of the trail, taking the steepest portions and I did it largely with grace and ease. Having stared at these ledges for my entire skiing career with awe, respect, and fear, I was thrilled to be at a point in my life where I could ski them and enjoy them.

I seriously contemplated one more run down it, but I was out of time and headed out. More tomorrow with fresh snow (fingers crossed). :wink: