• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how often do you wax

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Wow, I think you guys are just into the process of Waxxxing. I get them done MAYBE every 10 times out. I never notice a difference at all as PA is mostly Icy anyways. Usually before each trip on powder though. But really, when you have a couple pairs of skis it cuts down on the regularity of waxing them. Been out about 10 times this year, maybe it's time to get em done.

(It's more exciting just to buy new skis every 4 trips.) ha ha, JK

SKIQUATTRO

about every 5 times depending on conditions and type of snow i've been skiing on

Trekchick

just curios how often most of you guys get your skis waxed, I try to get mine done about every 10 days out or so, wondering if you think that is enough or if the should be done more often? I usually ski groomers and leftovers in intermediate glades with the occasional powder day in there
For east coast/midwest snow and man made snow, especially groomers, I wax nearly every time I go out. You can tell by the appearance and feel of the bases.

For the bikini line I wax every 4 to 6 weeks

Does anybody use a rub-on wax that they'd recommend?
I use this paste and the liquid wax, from Slidewright.

I start with a hard wax to assure that I have a good base wax and then do touch ups with the liquid and/or paste wax to save time, especially when I'm on a trip. The trick is to either brush or cork the bases when you're done. Smoooooooth!

One thing that we have against us in the Midwest and East is the granular type of snow which acts somewhat like sand paper and wears off the wax, which then causes base burn. Powder days are a dream for the bases. Little abrasion and little chance of needing new wax.

For those who are interested. Here's a video of Doug Coombs with his waxing technique. Enjoy!

http://www.thesnaz.com/wp-content/up...6/02/qandp.wmv

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I used to be all into waxing the skis every 3 or so days on the hill. Then I realized I don't notice the difference, maybe cause my senses are dull, so this year i have been pretty lazy about waxing.

Or maybe it's because you're becoming smarter just by hanging around me. It happens via absorption. Just a side benefit of being my friend. I don't even charge for it.

I wax every 3 days on snow. But, if the bases start drying out (i.e., oxidizing), I will wax sooner.

They only oxidize if you expose them to significant amount of x-rays or light them ablaze ;)

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
For east coast/midwest snow and man made snow, especially groomers, I wax nearly every time I go out. You can tell by the appearance and feel of the bases.

For the bikini line I wax every 4 to 6 weeks

I use this paste and the liquid wax, from Slidewright.

I start with a hard wax to assure that I have a good base wax and then do touch ups with the liquid and/or paste wax to save time, especially when I'm on a trip. The trick is to either brush or cork the bases when you're done. Smoooooooth!

One thing that we have against us in the Midwest and East is the granular type of snow which acts somewhat like sand paper and wears off the wax, which then causes base burn. Powder days are a dream for the bases. Little abrasion and little chance of needing new wax.

For those who are interested. Here's a video of Doug Coombs with his waxing technique. Enjoy!

http://www.thesnaz.com/wp-content/up...6/02/qandp.wmv

Though I had no luck with the link at the end, that is the best answer so far.

o3jeff

I probably have 15-20 outings and my skis and will be binging them in in the near future more for refreshing the edges than for the waxing.

drjeff

:cry: Your poor babies.

Amen! The best analogy I've heard about ski bases is that they are like your skin. They have pores, they like to be moist, and the system works best when it's taken care of! That doesn't even get into the virtues of a nice edge.

As an aside, as someone whose been taking a file and a waxing iron to my skis for over 20 years now, I still cringe when I see folks grinding the rails in a park! That sound of edge to rail metal sends more shivers down my spine than nails to a chalkboard! :eek:

Trekchick

Amen! The best analogy I've heard about ski bases is that they are like your skin. They have pores, they like to be moist, and the system works best when it's taken care of! That doesn't even get into the virtues of a nice edge.

As an aside, as someone whose been taking a file and a waxing iron to my skis for over 20 years now, I still cringe when I see folks grinding the rails in a park! That sound of edge to rail metal sends more shivers down my spine than nails to a chalkboard! :eek:
Amen again!
I take care of my skis religiously!!!

The one thing that is different in my thinking is that the bases don't like to be moist, but instead, they like to be carressed.
Another thing I like to do is clean the bases so the heating and waxing doesn't embed the crud and impurities into the base(s)

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Amen! The best analogy I've heard about ski bases is that they are like your skin. They have pores, they like to be moist, and the system works best when it's taken care of!

And think of how much better an analogy it would be if it were true... ;)

drjeff

Amen again!
I take care of my skis religiously!!!

The one thing that is different in my thinking is that the bases don't like to be moist, but instead, they like to be carressed.
Another thing I like to do is clean the bases so the heating and waxing doesn't embed the crud and impurities into the base(s)

I know that my game plan tonight is get to my ski house, feed/bathe/put the kids to bed, then pop open a beer or 2 and warm up the waxing iron and the files and get the boards ready for what's shaping up to be a GREAT weekend on the hill! :)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I probably have 15-20 outings and my skis and will be binging them in in the near future more for refreshing the edges than for the waxing.
I'll admit to being an infrequent waxer. Basically, I wait until I feel a difference. Unless you're a ski racer or have a mad steezy ski day count, I don't think it makes a huge difference for the vast majority of people whether you wax frequently or not.

bvibert

Staff member
My ski care routine this year is simple... I leave my skis in the ski box on top of my car until it's time to use them, then when I'm done skiing they go back in the box... It's been working well for me so far...

EDIT: Occasionally I'll check the bases for major damage before putting them back in the box at the end of the day...

Greg

Staff member
I get the skis tuned once in the beginning and again in the middle of the season. Good enough for my style of skiing.

drjeff

I'll admit to being an infrequent waxer. Basically, I wait until I feel a difference. Unless you're a ski racer or have a mad steezy ski day count, I don't think it makes a huge difference for the vast majority of people whether you wax frequently or not.

You'd be suprised. I bet that I could grab your skis immediately after you take a run, send you to the lodge for 20 odd minutes for a snack and a beverage, put a quick fesh edge and some mid-fluoro all temp wax on your skis, send you back out and you'd notice! It's not always just the glide down the hill, but also the ease of getting across the base area to the lifts, the run-out back to the lift, and the biggest difference, wet snow performance. That doesn't even get into what a fresh edge will do for most folks.

I have my wife so "spoiled" now with a freshly tuned pair of skis for her each weekend, that she'll get on my case if I slacked off and didn't tune them, or heaven forbid missed the wax (not an issue since I've been using my all temp stuntwax), or if I didn't detune her edges to where she likes them.

tjf67

I apply a generous amount of green wax in the morning and my skiis perform amazing