• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how often do you wax

Trekchick

I'll admit to being an infrequent waxer. Basically, I wait until I feel a difference. Unless you're a ski racer or have a mad steezy ski day count, I don't think it makes a huge difference for the vast majority of people whether you wax frequently or not.
Severine, its more about the longevity of the bases before it becomes necessary to grind than it is about feel. If you clean your ski bases and keep a good quality coat of wax on them, you'll avoid base burn,which means you will not likely have to do a grind for a looooong time.

I use a stone to touch up burrs on my edges but I dont' tune them thoroughly very often because, IMHO it takes a lot of material off. Once or twice a year at most for tuning(outside of the basic edge clean up)

Trekchick

I've still yet any explain to me exactly what "base burn" is.

Ooooof, sorry!
Base burn is when your ski bases have an appearance of being overly dry, and somewhat flakey(not really flakey, but for lack of a better term. )
On a black base, it would almost appear gray-ish, and would be dry/rough to the touch as you rub your hand across the base.
Its caused by the friction/heat that is directly against the bases due to lack of wax.

Paul

Ooooof, sorry!
Base burn is when your ski bases have an appearance of being overly dry, and somewhat flakey(not really flakey, but for lack of a better term. )
On a black base, it would almost appear gray-ish, and would be dry/rough to the touch as you rub your hand across the base.
Its caused by the friction/heat that is directly against the bases due to lack of wax.

Careful there, Trek...
istockphoto_3183654_worm_on_hook.jpg

Marc's post may look tempting....

Greg

Staff member
Careful there, Trek...

Yep. He's sure to reply with all sorts of technical mumbojumbo and words like poly-ethyl somethingorother. He may even draw up some sort of diagram...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
So what exactly, chemically, happens to the polyethylene? Or is it a strictly mechanical phenomenon? In which case, the bases would just have lots of small scratches. I don't see how this could happen as, at least in the case of utlra high molecular weight polyethylene, the material has higher abrasion resistance than stainless steel....

wa-loaf

I know Marc will talk about base material being stable and what not, but how do you explain that my wifes skis that sat unused for a couple year looked dried out and were definitely concave (and had not been when left in the basement)?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yep. He's sure to reply with all sorts of technical mumbojumbo and words like poly-ethyl somethingorother. He may even draw up some sort of diagram...

Oh come on, is curiosity really such a bad thing? We should all strive to become more knowledgeable, which means asking more questions. And not accepting at face value what wax companies and ski shops tell us, since they're not exactly unbiased sources.

Greg

Staff member

So what exactly, chemically, happens to the polyethylene? Or is it a strictly mechanical phenomenon? In which case, the bases would just have lots of small scratches. I don't see how this could happen as, at least in the case of utlra high molecular weight polyethylene, the material has higher abrasion resistance than stainless steel....

So....who's buying me my beer? :beer:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I know Marc will talk about base material being stable and what not, but how do you explain that my wifes skis that sat unused for a couple year looked dried out and were definitely concave (and had not been when left in the basement)?

I'm not the authority on the subject. I'd defer to any chemical engineers here, if there's one present. From what I know of the properties of polyethylene that are free for anyone to read, I rule out what doesn't happen, but it doesn't mean I can explain everything as well.

bvibert

Staff member
Oh come on, is curiosity really such a bad thing? We should all strive to become more knowledgeable, which means asking more questions. And not accepting at face value what wax companies and ski shops tell us, since they're not exactly unbiased sources.

I just glaze over most of what you say on the subject, but I do use your posts to justify my lack of tuning, in my head anyway. I would never openly admit that I find any of your posts useful...

Crap, I just did... :dunce:

Paul

This is the part that I absolutely agree with.

However, circumstantial evidence points to the other. Meh... I wax my skis every so often because I like the Zen-like quality of it. I am teh suk 2 much to make a difference anyway.

Trekchick

Careful there, Trek...

Too late, she just opened a whole can-o-worms...
Sorry! You guys need to warn me earlier.

Marc. you are welcome to overthink things if you want. I see it gives you a great deal of pleasure.
When it comes down to it, I take care of my skis and my practices make me happy. That's whats important in my house. You do what you want in your house.

Moving along..........
If you put your skis away with any dirt or debris on them, without proper cleaning and storage prep, then the expansion and contraction due to altering temps will allow the dirt to actually embed in the pores of the skis. This can alter the structure shape. Basement, attic, dry or damp storage, doesn't matter.
Marc, another opportunity "overthink opportunity". Enjoy!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Sorry! You guys need to warn me earlier.

Marc. you are welcome to overthink things if you want. I see it gives you a great deal of pleasure.
When it comes down to it, I take care of my skis and my practices make me happy. That's whats important in my house. You do what you want in your house.

Moving along..........
If you put your skis away with any dirt or debris on them, without proper cleaning and storage prep, then the expansion and contraction due to altering temps will allow the dirt to actually embed in the pores of the skis. This can alter the structure shape. Basement, attic, dry or damp storage, doesn't matter.
Marc, another opportunity "overthink opportunity". Enjoy!

Well, the amount of thinking one puts into a certain subject depends on the level of interest and the potential benefits I guess. It's certainly rare that I'm accused of thinking too much. And I agree that what you're doing makes you happy, then by all means continue. I'm trying to educate myself here and also further the discussion so that we all might become more knowledgable. I can't imagine anyone would think ill of that goal.

If you want me to stop asking questions, then I'll respect your request, but if not, I'm curious to find out where you learned what you know about about ski base material and what you've written so far. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass, I'm just curious. I'm like a three year old, just when you think I've finished asking questions, I'll ask another.

SKIQUATTRO

i use TOKO Universal Wax.....i am a fanatic about keeping my gear in good shape (bikes, skis, surfboards etc) Its not that the skis really need to be tuned as much as i do them, its more about the state of mind and satisfaction i get from tuning them...its relaxing...once the wife and kids are asleep, i'll grab a bottle of Cabernet, go down stairs, put on a game in the background and tune for an hour or 2....and i do all my buddies skis as well, i love it!