• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how often do you wax

BeanoNYC

I wax my wife's skis after every outing and forego the scraping and brushing to keep the edges from rusting. (She gets out about 5 or 6 times a year) My skis I wax every few outings, unless I'm expecting slop, then it's more often than not. As a side note, I'm not convinced that waxing protects my bases or makes them perform better. I just like tuning my skis and do it more out of hobby than anything. Any performance or preservation benefits it just gravy to me. Sharpening, on the other hand, has obvious benefits to me.

Last edited:

Trekchick

If you're (or the sig other) going to tune skis, get the right type of iron, it should have no wholes, a basic flat surface.
Some have adjustable heat so that you can figure out the right temp to melt the wax without overheating the base. You can get this stuff on the net as well as other supplies. Best time to get it is at the end of the season.

I only wax at the of the season and I will slop over the edges to prevent rust.

While I agree with the "no holes" thing, we started our waxing by using our old iron, which had holes. It got us by until we got a regular waxing iron which has a slight waffle pattern in it.
Here is a page that shows a variety of irons.
http://www.ski-racing.com/irons.html

Honestly I got my iron from a fellow bear on Epic. I don't think you can get a better deal than what he has to offer.
This is not the iron I got, but its a great deal and a nice iron.
http://www.racewax.com/servlet/the-11/Ski,-snowboard,-base,-wax,/Detail

drjeff

While I agree with the "no holes" thing, we started our waxing by using our old iron, which had holes. It got us by until we got a regular waxing iron which has a slight waffle pattern in it.
Here is a page that shows a variety of irons.
http://www.ski-racing.com/irons.html

Honestly I got my iron from a fellow bear on Epic. I don't think you can get a better deal than what he has to offer.
This is not the iron I got, but its a great deal and a nice iron.
http://www.racewax.com/servlet/the-11/Ski,-snowboard,-base,-wax,/Detail

Trek, having been a veteran of both the non ski specific waxing iron and the ski specific waxing iron myself, I bet that you'd agree with me that the ski specific waxing iron is a HUGE improvement over the "generic iron" for waxing. I was AMAZED the first time I used a real ski waxing iron.

I can't wait to use mine on the new boards I picked up today(I "had" to update my beloved 3 season old Atomic B5 Metrons due to a little incident I had with a rock/stump/who knows what type of solid object I hit in the trees Saturday that ripped a piece of edge out :eek: )

SKIQUATTRO

hey DRJEFF.....that happened to my Metrons, so I shipped em back to Atomic ($20 for shipping) and they sent me a brand new pair!!!

drjeff

hey DRJEFF.....that happened to my Metrons, so I shipped em back to Atomic ($20 for shipping) and they sent me a brand new pair!!!

I was hoping to be able to do that Quattro, but mine were a bit to "seasoned" to be covered by their warrentee :( Anyway, the shop where I bought them had a pair of last years in my size still, and since the only difference between last year's B5 and this years B5 (or any year's B5 for that matter) is the top skin graphics, I picked those up at a very nice price. For about 3 runs of demo'ing I briefly contemplated getting a pair of the Nomad Crimson's, but while the Crimson's are a very nice ski, they're not quite the B5 interms of how wild a short turn they can make ;)