• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how often do you wax

freebie

just curios how often most of you guys get your skis waxed, I try to get mine done about every 10 days out or so, wondering if you think that is enough or if the should be done more often? I usually ski groomers and leftovers in intermediate glades with the occasional powder day in there

So far this season twice in 26 days but Ideally it would be after every session. I'm just lazy..it's enough to do laundry and bring my ski boots in from my car after skiing..If the snow is fast and refrozen..wax doesn't matter much to me but if it's warm out..or there's new wet snow..it makes a huge difference. When my skis start creating drag on the flats..that's when I need more wax..so I can glide better.

Does anybody use a rub-on wax that they'd recommend?

freebie

I've heard that rub ons can be a pain, have to have the ski at room temp, don't last very long, etc, there might be something newer that works better but I usually just bring em in to the shop at lunch and have them hot wax em, wish I had fresh was this am, would have been nice with 8"

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Usually after every ski trip, which is normally 2-3 days of skiing. I do get a season tune, so that makes it much easier. Just drop the skis off on my last day of skiing and pick them up on my first. But even before I started buying season tunes, I used to tune them up myself after each trip. As far as I know, was is not going to hurt your skis :lol:

koreshot

I used to be all into waxing the skis every 3 or so days on the hill. Then I realized I don't notice the difference, maybe cause my senses are dull, so this year i have been pretty lazy about waxing.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
This thread seems to pop up every few months during season. Years ago, I used to wax every two days on the hill. We had this great attic in our ski house and there was nothing like spending an hour or so up in the attic after driving up on a friday night with the sweet smell of ski wax (and perhaps some p-tex) burning in the night, while putting down a few cold ones. That was the weekend routine.

But these days, I don't wax (I'm talking my skis here, for you dirty minded people) much. I think unless you're racing or the snow is excessively wet, it doesn't make much of a difference on the terrain that I'm skiing. If I was racing I'd wax 'em daily.

skibum9995

I try to wax after every day on the hill, but sometimes I don't get to it. I like to keep my edges sharp so I polish them and then wax.

MarkC

I will usually wax about every 3-5 days out. Every other time I wax I will do a full tune (edges, ptex, stone grind if necessary)

skidbump

For winter conditions every 3 to 5 days on snow for wax and touch up on edges,ptex when needed. This yr will start to do my own core shots with epoxy.Only send in for stone grind if i really screw up some edges.For spring and slush its every day hot wax over a base of zardoz not wax and spray silicon when needed thru out the day

wa-loaf

Waxed tonight. Racing tomorrow, just used some basic all round toko wax I have. I want to pick up some race wax, but that stuff is expensive. :-o