• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What kind of wax do you use?

tree_skier

purple is a swix wax. I use toko flouro waxes and swix base prep/training wax. The flouro waxes are strickly race wax. For all waxing other then races I use the Swix bulk either warm or cold, from artech it is $27 for 900 grams.

snowmonster

Swix F4 Universal Wax. It's pretty versatile since it has a huge temp range and gets the job done. When I get into racing or my ski tech hobby finally goes overboard, I'll start watching the temps and get really technical on the waxes.

drjeff

I'm a big fan of Stuntwax. Really good glide across a wide range of temps and snow types! It's made by a couple of guys whose other jobs are both a chemist and ski instructors! It really has great longevity and will still have the bases nice and shiny even by the edges after a 3 day weekend of high speed cruisers on coarse snow. Plus, they DON'T want you to scrape!

www.stuntwax.com

BTW, 2 bars last season got my through an entire winter with weekly applications to both my wife's and my skis (30+ pairs waxed)

wa-loaf

I'm a big fan of Stuntwax. Really good glide across a wide range of temps and snow types! It's made by a couple of guys whose other jobs are both a chemist and ski instructors! It really has great longevity and will still have the bases nice and shiny even by the edges after a 3 day weekend of high speed cruisers on coarse snow. Plus, they DON'T want you to scrape!

www.stuntwax.com

BTW, 2 bars last season got my through an entire winter with weekly applications to both my wife's and my skis (30+ pairs waxed)

That's cool stuff, nice and simple. the site is a little weird to get around. It also doesn't say how big the bars are? The prices are pretty good too, I might pick some up as I'll need more wax soon.

drjeff

That's cool stuff, nice and simple. the site is a little weird to get around. It also doesn't say how big the bars are? The prices are pretty good too, I might pick some up as I'll need more wax soon.

While I don't know the exact gram weight of a bar, I can tell you that their basically 3" across by 1" high and 1" deep, and side by side weight wise to my hands they feel about twice as heavy as one of the bars in a 3 bar swix pack, so based on that I'd guess that their in the 120gm to 150gm size.

Plus, on the iron, stuntwax has a nice, actually sweet smell to it! Last year I used their performance wax and this I year bought their race wax, which do to the higher fluorination I've noticed a little smoother glide in those wetter snow conditions.