• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shawnee Peak - 1/1/2008 - Powder w/ Pics

salsgang

Date(s) Skied: January 1st, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Shawnee Peak

Conditions: Packed Powder to Pure POW!

Trip Report: FANTASTIC day at Shawnee Peak. We started the day around 9AM with sunny skies and quick packed powder conditions on the groomers. The ungroomed trails were probably fine for folks that can ski moguls better than myself, but I personally like fluff between the bumps.

We skied the east side of the mountain first thing. Yee Haw to Upper and Lower Roosevelt groomers were quite good. We scraped our way down Upper Kangamangus to hit the east glade. Great little glade for the family to thrash. Loads of fun. About noontime it started to snow, and gradually the it snowed harder as the day went on and filled in everywhere very nicely.

We hit all the favorites on the main side of the hill. Jack Spratt to Riley's Run from the top was awesome all day. Once the snow filled things in, the runs of T-Line and Bee Line were great. Soft powdery mogul action. And the boyz and I loved racing in and out of the The Chutes off the Main. We found some nice new glades to fool around in off the west slope too.

I managed to have my first yard sale of the year. Hit a branch sticking out of the snow on the edge of the West Slope trail. My ski caught it going at a pretty good clip and lost everything. My equipment was strewn over a 20 yard radius. It was quite a sight... but no harm done however. :-D I took another good digger off of The Dungeons from the top.. but lots of powdery fluff to cushion the fall. There were no lift lines at all all day.

The last couple of hours was pure powder... over a half a foot by the time we called it quits around 5pm. We got a few runs in under the lights, but we were beat and time to head home. Shawnee is a great medium sized hill with super night skiing. Well worth the drive home in the snow.

Here are some pics from the day:

The old man chasing the kids through the trees:
shawnee1.jpg

The family coming down the Main Slope:
shawnee2.jpg

Boy #2 coming through a mini-glade off Evergreen trail:
shawnee3.jpg

Boy #1 & Mom coming down West Slope:
shawnee4.jpg