• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats Peak (NH) Glades

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Can you comment on the glades at PP? My little one and I are probably going there on Wednesday. While she's a lower intermediate skill-set, she loves glades. I could have sworn the PP glades were pretty tame, but I see they are marked as Black Diamond. While I realize it's a relative trail rating system, it seems way over the edge to call them diamonds. Or has my memory faded completely?
thanks,

hammer

No problem

The Whisper, Puff, and Zephyr Glades are practically flat with decent spaces between the trees...no worries for an intermediate IMO.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The Whisper, Puff, and Zephyr Glades are practically flat with decent spaces between the trees...no worries for an intermediate IMO.

that's what I thought. So what gives? they just trying to build ego, or are they trying to say they have glades but trying to scare people away, or trying to attract advanced skiers? It just seems strange.

Zand

that's what I thought. So what gives? they just trying to build ego, or are they trying to say they have glades but trying to scare people away, or trying to attract advanced skiers? It just seems strange.

You already said it... it's just relative. Hell, even Pine Ridge has a couple black diamonds.

bobbutts

Hurricane glade and FIS glade are short but decent glade runs.
The flat ones are for beginners and kids I'd say.

BTW check this out :) guns in the woods at Pat's lol!

Greg

Staff member

It's a feeder hill and this a great way to get your feet wet. I think it's great that some of the smaller mountains offer terrain like this. Sundown here in CT does the same thing with their bumps. They're a great introduction to folks wanting to try them, and also a nice option for advanced skiers that want something challenging closer to home.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here's where those pics come in handy.

Zephyr Glade:

Pats_Peak_005.jpg

Not a glade, but the Peak Liftline which is swwweeeeetttt:

Pats_Peak_012.jpg

Hurricane Glade, which is by far the best one they have...and one that is more typical of resorts up north IMHO...or at least closer to it:

Pats_Peak_035.sized.jpg

Pats_Peak_036.sized.jpg

Pats_Peak_037.sized.jpg

And the new Puff/Whisper Glade from a few years back:

Pats_Peak_047.thumb.jpg

IMHO the FIS Glade sucks...it needs a TON of snow and is very bony. The liftlines, however, rock. :wink:

The Pats Peak March 2005 Album.

SnowRider

they mark them black just for ego for younger skiirs maybe. build confidence. they also want to let people know that there is considerably more risk in the glades however small they are.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We did all the glades at Pat's today. They really are the most gentrified glades I've ever seen. I'm not being critical. The little one loved it. Not a brush or scrub to be seen. The good news was that they had about 8" fresh pow on them and were not bumped up yet -which is a big plus. They also were pretty shallow pitch. Actually, my daughter preferred ducking into the woods off the greens. She could not believe how easy the glades are - I would never mark them more than a relative blue. The blues were about her limit.

hammer

IMHO the FIS Glade sucks...it needs a TON of snow and is very bony. The liftlines, however, rock. :wink:
Where is the FIS Glade? I've seen the Tornado glades (sharper left from the top of the Hurricane Triple), but the only glades I know of near FIS are part of the Vortex trail, and they are spaced out enough for snowmaking...

hammer

Did you get a chance to see the bumps at hurricane, how are they looking?
I see them each time I go...they looked a bit icy from the lift compared to the bumps I saw on Twister and Tornado on 1/1 (and not doable for me yet).

jack97

I see them each time I go...they looked a bit icy from the lift compared to the bumps I saw on Twister and Tornado on 1/1 (and not doable for me yet).
Thanks hammer..... I might go over there and check them out. It will depend on wether Sunapee get the other trail seeded with bumps.

bobbutts

Did you get a chance to see the bumps at hurricane, how are they looking?

They are kind of small and oddly spaced as of last night, but some lines to be had. There is some harder icy stuff in the usual spots on the backsides, but if you are charging the fall line you won't be noticing that anyway.

hammer

They are kind of small and oddly spaced as of last night, but some lines to be had. There is some harder icy stuff in the usual spots on the backsides, but if you are charging the fall line you won't be noticing that anyway.
Better report than mine...I'd take them on if I thought I wouldn't yardsale all over the place.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

While I spent most of my day in the greens and glades, I did have a look at the black diamonds. I was rather suprised at the amount of hardpack on them. It looked like all the pow had been scraped of clean. Having been to a variety of resorts in New England in the last two weeks, these bumps at PP seemed to be in the worst shape. All I can conclude is that large numbers of not-so-skilled skiers simply scraped the plate clean.

I was also a bit puzzled why nothing was sticking to the steeps, since in steeps at other areas I have skied they are in good shape. I can only postulate that it was skier volume and geographic locale/less snow? that made the diff. The blues and greens were delightful.

hammer

While I spent most of my day in the greens and glades, I did have a look at the black diamonds. I was rather suprised at the amount of hardpack on them. It looked like all the pow had been scraped of clean. Having been to a variety of resorts in New England in the last two weeks, these bumps at PP seemed to be in the worst shape. All I can conclude is that large numbers of not-so-skilled skiers simply scraped the plate clean.

I was also a bit puzzled why nothing was sticking to the steeps, since in steeps at other areas I have skied they are in good shape. I can only postulate that it was skier volume and geographic locale/less snow? that made the diff. The blues and greens were delightful.
That's a shame...there was plenty of snow on them on 1/1, although I know from being there on 12/26 that there was plenty of hardpack as a result of the NCP. I'm sure I did my part in scraping the plate...

tcharron

Can you comment on the glades at PP? My little one and I are probably going there on Wednesday. While she's a lower intermediate skill-set, she loves glades. I could have sworn the PP glades were pretty tame, but I see they are marked as Black Diamond. While I realize it's a relative trail rating system, it seems way over the edge to call them diamonds. Or has my memory faded completely?
thanks,

Pats Glades are small and VERY tame. Remember, Diamonds are relative to the REST of the mountain.