• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Auto tires for winter driving

campgottagopee

Don't a lot of 2WD cars also have VDC?

Some do, but right now you'd find it in higher $$$ cars and most likely an option vs. standard equiptment. Soon it will be standard in most, but I think we're a few years away from that.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Some do, but right now you'd find it in higher $$$ cars and most likely an option vs. standard equiptment. Soon it will be standard in most, but I think we're a few years away from that.

Four years to be exact. At least in the US. The NHTSA mandated all new cars sold will have to have some form of electronic stability control by 2012, and it will be phased in process starting with 50% of new cars next year.

In other words, NHTSA is saying, you're all to stupid too avoid accidents yourself, here's an electronic crutch whether you want it or not.

At least in a lot of cars it comes in today there's the option to disable it. Stupid NHTSA.

campgottagopee

Four years to be exact. At least in the US. The NHTSA mandated all new cars sold will have to have some form of electronic stability control by 2012, and it will be phased in process starting with 50% of new cars next year.

In other words, NHTSA is saying, you're all to stupid too avoid accidents yourself, here's an electronic crutch whether you want it or not.

At least in a lot of cars it comes in today there's the option to disable it. Stupid NHTSA.

You're correct---2012 is the year.

I used to think that it was stupid as well until I went to the dealer meeting intoducing the new LLBean Outback (w/vdc). They had set up a slalom course on a HUGE (maybe 200 yds long) black poly tarp w/ water constantly running/spraying on it, which simulated icy driving conditions. We and a proffesional driver were able to drive thru with a Outback with out vdc and one with vdc. It truely was AMAZING to see and feel the difference in the car with VDC. It really is a HUGE safety feature in certain over/under steer situations. I think what was most amazing was being able to watch the car "snap" back into a "straight line" when the VDC activated. Being that it's a passive saftey feature IMHO NHTSA is doing us all a favor.

I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have the option to turn off the VDC. There are situations where turning it off are neccessary because you can not spin with that thing activated. If you were stuck, and needed to rock back and forth to get out, you would want VDC off.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You're correct---2012 is the year.

I used to think that it was stupid as well until I went to the dealer meeting intoducing the new LLBean Outback (w/vdc). They had set up a slalom course on a HUGE (maybe 200 yds long) black poly tarp w/ water constantly running/spraying on it, which simulated icy driving conditions. We and a proffesional driver were able to drive thru with a Outback with out vdc and one with vdc. It truely was AMAZING to see and feel the difference in the car with VDC. It really is a HUGE safety feature in certain over/under steer situations. I think what was most amazing was being able to watch the car "snap" back into a "straight line" when the VDC activated. Being that it's a passive saftey feature IMHO NHTSA is doing us all a favor.

I definitely won't argue its merits in certain situations, beyond the fact that, in my S4, it caused me to drive faster than I probably should have been driving in low traction conditions. In that regard, you have to wonder how much safer it will make the roads for everyone.

I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have the option to turn off the VDC. There are situations where turning it off are neccessary because you can not spin with that thing activated. If you were stuck, and needed to rock back and forth to get out, you would want VDC off.

This is my big fear. That it might be hard to find cars in the future without an option to disable it.

campgottagopee

I definitely won't argue its merits in certain situations, beyond the fact that, in my S4, it caused me to drive faster than I probably should have been driving in low traction conditions. In that regard, you have to wonder how much safer it will make the roads for everyone.

This is my big fear. That it might be hard to find cars in the future without an option to disable it.

I hear ya about driving too fast--that's the reason I don't ride sport bikes anymore. I JUST CAN"T RIDE THEM SLOW!!!!!!

I would think the majority would have an option to turn off. All my stuff does, but you never know.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I hear ya about driving too fast--that's the reason I don't ride sport bikes anymore. I JUST CAN"T RIDE THEM SLOW!!!!!!

I would think the majority would have an option to turn off. All my stuff does, but you never know.

Well, my fear stems from the fact that once air bags were mandated, it took an act of God to get the NHTSA to recognize there was a need to be able to disable those things. But, I haven't read the wording in the law so I guess I wouldn't know for sure unless I did that. If I stay on my current car buying habits though, I won't really have to worry about it until 2019 anyway.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The early adopter cars (I have an Audi) have a VSC shutoff in them. I've been driving with stability control since last March and it is nice. As I get older and not as responsive as I once was, I am more appreciative of things like this.

I worry that the same idiots that think they are invincible with 4wd/awd will think the same thing when VSC is in their vehicle.

My alpha-version Outback VDC (2001 MY) doesn't have a switch to turn VDC off. Still, I'm not rallying so that's probably okay. Being able to pull onto the road (carefully!) without worrying about fishtailing helps me stay focused on the big picture.

It wouldn't be that hard for anybody with even a passing acquaintance with electronics to install a switch that would throw a fault and disable VDC or VDC and ABS, if it was that big a deal. Even pulling a fuse might be enough. Probably invalidate your insurance if you got in an accident with it turned off, though, so don't try this at home.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
My alpha-version Outback VDC (2001 MY) doesn't have a switch to turn VDC off. Still, I'm not rallying so that's probably okay. Being able to pull onto the road (carefully!) without worrying about fishtailing helps me stay focused on the big picture.

It wouldn't be that hard for anybody with even a passing acquaintance with electronics to install a switch that would throw a fault and disable VDC or VDC and ABS, if it was that big a deal. Even pulling a fuse might be enough. Probably invalidate your insurance if you got in an accident with it turned off, though, so don't try this at home.

That and your warranty. Not a realistic or desirable option for me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Doubt my opinion will change regarding tires verse drive system, but I have a new vehicle to further sway my opinion one way or the other.

My company upgraded me from vehicle expense stipend, to actual vehicle. I rolled back to the hotel in Jersey tonight in my new wheels and head back to Maine tomorrow in it.

2004 Subaro Legacy Wagon is the new whip. I've only driven it about ten miles so far and can already tell I'm gonna miss the Hyundai's V6, but it's a great deal overall. The girlfriend gets to sell her 2000 VW Jetta and roll in my Hyundai, why I get a vehicle with zero expense; gas, tolls, maintenance are all off my tab.

The only bummer in it all is I have to drive around in a vehicle with Jersey plates on it. Call me Joey