• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boston Boot Fitter?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Any recommendations? A friend of mine, low intermediate skier, is in need of a new pair of boots. He's got some foot issues though, so I think it's best for him to see a real good boot fitter. I know Strands out in Worcester used to do a fabulous job, but someone closer to Boston proper would be great.

wa-loaf

I haven't been there in a while, but The Wilderness House (across from EMS) used to have a good boot fitter. They're also just up the street from Ski Market (competent, but expensive) if that doesn't work out.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Oh I realize that and I'll definitely pass on the information to my buddy concerning Jeff. I just doubt he is going to want to pay the money for custom fit boots considering he skis about 5 days a year and is of a novice level. That all said, I don't want him to go to ski market and end up with some HS kid who doesn't know boots well and how they can help someone's skiing.

Paul

Oh I realize that and I'll definitely pass on the information to my buddy concerning Jeff. I just doubt he is going to want to pay the money for custom fit boots considering he skis about 5 days a year and is of a novice level. That all said, I don't want him to go to ski market and end up with some HS kid who doesn't know boots well and how they can help someone's skiing.

True.... however, a good pair of good-fitting boots may get him on the slopes more often, which, in-turn, may help him improve. :-D

wa-loaf

That Ski Market in Boston (on Comm ave) is their flagship store and the people there know what they are doing. Wilderness House (used to be Bob Smiths) is now run by Joe Jones. I don't know what they are like under Joe Jones, but they used to be really good and are probably worth checking out. They are just down the street from one another, so if he's not happy with the service at one he can just head over to the other.

snowmonster

I've fitted boots at both Ski Market and the Wilderness House on Commonwealth Avenue. The staff in both places seem to know what they're doing. My litmus test is if they immediately get you into a shell-fit. For me, that's an indication that they at least know the difference between selling ski boots and selling rubber shoes.

I never got the names of the folks working there but the boot guy at the Wilderness House is this slightly balding fellow. He's very attentive but get him during down times because I think he manages the place. The folks at Ski Market are pretty much gear geeks and really know the different boot models (both on display and those that Ski Market doesn't sell). Early in the fall, I spent an entire evening there with these staffers talking about different boot models and their characteristics. One of them walks with a cane (ski accident) and the other seems to be the night manager. Very helpful and they can tell you a thing or two about fitting boots.

I've never gone to either place to dial in boots so I can't speak to that. For tweaking boots, footbeds and getting dialled in, I go to Jeff Bokum in Nashua. I recommend his work.