• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whats open & worth going to near Loon MTN in Lincoln NH?

R

RichTJ99

Hi,

Monday night I am driving to stay at a hotel at Loon Mountain. My plan was to get a two day pass (I am staying Monday - Saturday at Loon) & go for 2 days at Loon & 1 day somwhere else (Shopping 1 day & a relaxing day too).

So, if I have 3 days of skiing starting on Tuesday Morning, where should I go? Loon only has 10 trails open so I dont know if that is worth doing more than 1 day while I am in NH.

Any recommendations of somewhere with snow would be great!

Thanks,
Rich

Greg

Staff member
Didn't we touch on this already? If you're looking for specifics on current conditions, I would start by taking a look at the snow reports for some of the resorts mentioned in your previous thread HERE. Narrow it down a bit first that way, and perhaps others here that have been out in the area will comment on the conditions they saw recently.

stomachdoc

Waterville was in fine shape last weekend, considering. They have a higher elevation than Loon, so I think they are better able to get things going early season. They will have about 18 trails by the weekend, including some steeps. Your Loon pass will work at WV, so take the drive for a day (or half day).

Vortex

Lincoln mid week well. Movies in lincoln is 1. Getting hard to get beyond that.

Just kidding go to the basin, Should still be running, don't think a total freeze up will happen by then 10 to 15 min from Loon. Easy to get to after parking 3 min walk..
I like the ride over the kank highway just for views go to north conway and shop there. lots of neat shops and rest. Attitash is there. .
Sunday River is a nice trip about 1.40 min to get there from babes bar at Loon,. Very recent experiment. ( left Sr Sat at 11:.30 and drove to Loon)
That should get you started. pm me if you want more specifics. I go to Loon almost every weekend.

powers

Jay Peak. Okay so its 1.5 hrs away but they have had 6-8" of new snow in the past 24hrs and 20-26" in the past 5 days with more on the way. Its less money, 46 trails out of 76 and its real snow. Need I say more? Thats 4x more than Loon and the place skis bigger. The drive is almost all highway except for the last 20 miles or so.

Talisman

Mid week skiing at Jay with lake effect powder is well worth the drive, especially if you like glade skiing. Glades with powder = fun. If Burke opens soon that is about an hour away and usually has good snow and little skier traffic. Sometimes we forget how close Burke and Jay are to Lincoln, NH.

Bretton Woods, Cannon, Wildcat and Attitash are reasonable drives as is Sunday River in Maine.

As far as shopping goes, you are on your own.

R

RichTJ99

Greg said:
Didn't we touch on this already? If you're looking for specifics on current conditions, I would start by taking a look at the snow reports for some of the resorts mentioned in your previous thread HERE. Narrow it down a bit first that way, and perhaps others here that have been out in the area will comment on the conditions they saw recently.

Greg, I didnt mean to start a new thread, I just figured that when I started the old thread in October there would be snow in NH by the end of December.

The other link looks good though. It just stinks all over the NE in regards to snow!

R

RichTJ99

stomachdoc said:
Waterville was in fine shape last weekend, considering. They have a higher elevation than Loon, so I think they are better able to get things going early season. They will have about 18 trails by the weekend, including some steeps. Your Loon pass will work at WV, so take the drive for a day (or half day).

I actually didnt buy passes yet, but if I can goto multple mountains with a 2 day Loon pass, I would love to find out where I can use it. I wouldnt even mind going to two mountains in 1 day (if theres such a small percentage of the mountains open).

R

RichTJ99

Bob R said:
Lincoln mid week well. Movies in lincoln is 1. Getting hard to get beyond that.

Just kidding go to the basin, Should still be running, don't think a total freeze up will happen by then 10 to 15 min from Loon. Easy to get to after parking 3 min walk..
I like the ride over the kank highway just for views go to north conway and shop there. lots of neat shops and rest. Attitash is there. .
Sunday River is a nice trip about 1.40 min to get there from babes bar at Loon,. Very recent experiment. ( left Sr Sat at 11:.30 and drove to Loon)
That should get you started. pm me if you want more specifics. I go to Loon almost every weekend.

Bob,

I think you completely lost me. Basin is another mountain in the area?

The shopping my wife can handle since thats more of her passion.

R

RichTJ99

Talisman said:
Sometimes we forget how close Burke and Jay are to Lincoln, NH.

Bretton Woods, Cannon, Wildcat and Attitash are reasonable drives as is Sunday River in Maine.

As far as shopping goes, you are on your own.

So Jay Peak is open (thats in Maine right?).

As far as the others :
Bretton Woods, Cannon, Wildcat and Attitash

Where can i find the snow reports for those ski places. That Jay Mountain with 46 trails sounds much better than loons 10 trails.

Figures, I have a mountain side resort for a week but no snow to enjoy the simplicity of waking up at 8:15 & skiing by 8:25...

Waaa!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
jay peak is vermont, they have the most snow in new england with exception of sugarloaf which is also doing really well. try their web pages for snow reports or uses snocountry's reports through AZ.

that's the risk you take booking xmas vacations in new england....

Vortex

Sorry, i was trying to give non ski activities as well. the Basin is a natural waterfall in the notch area. Nice little trip very little work. It is on the Franconia Notch parkway. 93 changes to that north of lincoln until you pass Cannon. 1 lane each direction.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
if you're stopping in the notch, you could also snowshoe up to lonesome lake and the hut from the basin. beautiful view of the franconia ridge from the lake. snow shoe rentals are probably available somwhere in lincoln if you don't have them.

R

RichTJ99

stomachdoc said:

How do I find out what mountains I can use my Loon pass at? Is there a multi mountain pass? I would like to know which mountains I can goto if I buy a Loon MTN lift ticket (aside from loon). I cant find the info on their website.

Greg

Staff member
RichTJ99 said:
How do I find out what mountains I can use my Loon pass at? Is there a multi mountain pass? I would like to know which mountains I can goto if I buy a Loon MTN lift ticket (aside from loon). I cant find the info on their website.
If it's a "Threedom Pass", then it's valid at Loon, Waterville Valley and Cranmore:

http://www.threedompass.com/info/index.asp

Hope this helps!

sledhaulingmedic

stomachdoc said:

Not a huge difference in elevation, but looks to be almost 800' at the base and about 400' at the summit. (More if you count High Country).

Stomachdoc: I keep thinking you should change your handle to "G.I. Joe" :D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
despite the higher elevation, loon and waterville have very similar snow fall amounts according to tony crocker's page. probably due to loon being near the notch which always seems to have more snow. loon has waterville beat on vertical drop though.

stomachdoc

sledhaulingmedic said:
stomachdoc said:

Not a huge difference in elevation, but looks to be almost 800' at the base and about 400' at the summit. (More if you count High Country).

Stomachdoc: I keep thinking you should change your handle to "G.I. Joe" :D

I've had a few patients call me "The Rear Admiral"
:wink:

I agree, I'm not sure the higher elevation of Waterville makes that much of difference once it gets really cold. It does seem that Waterville manages to open a little quicker than Loon (17 trails open at WV vs 11 at Loon) but I'm sure that some of that is just semantics (calling a cut through a "trail").

Anyway, there's a demo day at WV this weekend; I want to try some Atomic Metron 10's to potentially replace my aging Volkl Vertigo Motions.

sledhaulingmedic

"Don't worry, I'm behind you all the way."

I don't know about the Metron 10, but the M-11 is the berries (although the short length they came up with for me took a little getting used to.) I believe the whole series is made to "ski short" so becertainyou have the size their chart indicates. Pretty wild geometry. I'll be curious what you think of them.

Not much skiing oportunities for me until Monday. Hope this storm pans out the way they say :wink:

Vortex

I am now confused. I don't think Loon and Waterville let you use day tickets at eachothers mountains. Maybe the mountain club is different. Season passes yes they work at W-ville Cranmore and Loon.. Maybe sneak a run in at Cranmore while the Mrs shops in North conway.
(Another idea for your wife is theTilton outlett shops 45 min south of Loon.) Exit 20 off 93. We get alot of clothes in these outlets. The Tilton Diner is there also (famous).
The sunday-Friday threedom pass may be a good idea. 2 days at loon 2 days at waterville. Your pass would be pretty well paid for.
If you go to Waterville a few nice shops in town Square(Sleigh Rides) Great Candy Store.
Same money and ski free the rest of the year. Alot of good benfits with that pass . Free mid week skiing at MT St anne in Canada if you stay on their property if reservations are made. My 2 cents