• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Binding Position

ctenidae

If you're handy, actually making a template for the holes (put the binding on your scanner or copier) isn't that bad nor is drilling a hole with the right depth. Since my Atomic bindings allow me to adjust their fore/aft location about an inch (makes quite a difference), I have come to question how you decide where on the ski the binding should go. I would also think that the right jig may help position the holes correctly aligned on the ski since the sidecut on a ski might make using a square difficult.

Made me think of this. I have Head iM 75 Monsters with the Railflex Tyrolia setup that allows 3 positions for the bindings- front, center, adn back. I've got them in the center, and have since I got them, but I wonder what difference it really makes. If I move them forward, what should I expect eh ski to do?

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Be a little longer in the back. :) Personally, if would move them forward if I am going to be skiing faster and downhill. And backwards if I am going to be hitting a lot of jumps or moguls. I just find it is easier to control the back of the ski when you need to on a landing.

wa-loaf

Moving the binding forward essentially makes for a shorter ski, so turn initiation will be easier.

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Yeah, that's what they say. Shorter better for slalom. When I played with the one set of Tyrolias that have 3 positions, I found just leaving it in the center was a WAY better all around ski, that it wasn't even worth moving for the bumpy days or fast days.

ctenidae

Yeah, that's what they say. Shorter better for slalom. When I played with the one set of Tyrolias that have 3 positions, I found just leaving it in the center was a WAY better all around ski, that it wasn't even worth moving for the bumpy days or fast days.

Had a feeling it wasn't a huge difference. I like hwere they are, but maybe I'll play around with it, for a little variety, and all.

jack97

Placing the bindings forward allows you to make a faster turn and allows you to put the weight on the front of the ski. Bumpers like it b/c of the faster turn initiation and weighting the front of the ski. I heard park & jibs do this so the weight of the ski is balance under their feet. The cons to this is that you can handle bar over.

Placing it center or the back allows you to control the whole ski for a medium to large radius turn. Being over center and back would prevent the tail from washing out thus a clean release or a clean entry into the transition of the turn.... making a clean carve is euphoric.

If your bindings can be adjusted, experiment with it.

jack97

Just like drugs. Experiment til you find the one that best fits your needs. Ha ha.

Skiing is like a drug.......

I kinda agree that keeping the binding center is generally good for all around skiing. Having said that, there are some wackos in this forum that want to focus on a specific type of turn, mainly the short radius and using it in the bumps.

This season, I totally change my setup; a mogul ski with a forward mount, adjusted my boots to a forward cuff and a softer flex. I can feel a big difference and can make a faster turn.

Whatever floats the boat.

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

My all around ski is mounted slightly foward of midsole, for a better responsiveness ski.

My powder ski is mounted just behind the midsole to keep the tips up.

My race ski is mounted midsole.

Greg

Staff member
And backwards if I am going to be hitting a lot of jumps or moguls.

Maybe for jumps, but a rear-mounted binding is death in bumps. Move forward.

basemoto

you move the binding further back if u wants the high speeds dawg, up front for some quick turns, and in the center for the all around experience. When i am on my sx11's i love the bindings further back, and i get some nice long high speed turns in. For quick turns i use my fisher rc4 worldcup sc's, shorter skis bro

jack97

When i am on my sx11's i love the bindings further back, and i get some nice long high speed turns in.

Never demoed the sx11. But I heard the the tails are stiff, couple this with a relatively wide shovel, it makes sense to place the mount back.

basemoto

being comfortable means figuring out whats best for the ski know what i mean dude