• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blowing out boots

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Anyone ever do this...I think my wife could stand a little mor room on 1 boot

Anyone know if this is a myth and if not whats entailed?

No myth, but I wouldn't rush into it. I had an issue with a boot and took it to the shop to have it blown out. They advised me not to rush into it becuase once you push out the boot, you can't push back. What they did is made another recommendation which was warming up the boot and shimming to raise my foot. That worked.

As far as I understand it, blowing out the boot, just means pushing out a specific area. Oh, could look a bit ugly too.

skidbump

To get boot to actually blow out you need to leave overnite .If they do it while you wait and throw snow on it to cool it will just return back to original shape after a short period.

skidbump

i have had 6th toes on last 3 boots and big toe done on my nordica "nordicas are in shop because aholes at hunter didnt do correctly left for 3 days and ahole didnt do"..if its a case of boot need to be literally streched to make wider there are machines that will stretch out both sides of boot but needs to be left on over nite

hammer

I had some issues on my right foot which Jeff first tried to address with a bit of grinding...when that didn't give me enought room he heated the boot up and stretched it a bit using what looked to me like a shoe tree.

I'm guessing that "blowing the boot out" would be more significant than that...the only way I can tell that anything is stretched is by running my fingers over each boot (the one stretched has a little bump on it).

Main thing I'd recommend is to go to a good bootfitter and expect it to take a few iterations. It seems that grinding/stretching is, for the most part, not reversable...best to do it in small steps until the fit is just right.

wa-loaf

Streching/Blowing out are the same thing. Heat the portion of the boot to be stretched with a heat gun and then a hydrolic tool with various attachments will stretch it out where needed.

I don't know if they do it anymore, but they can also steam the shell (put it in a steamer with boiling water to soften the whole boot) and then put the liner and your foot back in and crank everything down. I guess the idea is if the whole shell is soft it will mold to your foot.

tjf67

I have all my boots blown out. IMO it the only way to go. Grinding and taking away liner material just does not work well. Benny in Stowe can do it. Drifter know a guy in the Albany area that can do it.
Blow those suckers out and they will fit like a slipper.

tjf67

To get boot to actually blow out you need to leave overnite .If they do it while you wait and throw snow on it to cool it will just return back to original shape after a short period.

All the new boots plactic has a certain amoutn mf memory and will settle back in. Best thing to do which I doubt you can get done in the east is go to the shop in the morning after you know where the problem area is. Have them blow them out it takes ten minutes. Ski on it all day and go back in the afternoon to have it tweaked if necessary.

bigbog

Brettski,
Wholeheartedly agree with all....and in addition, you might try simply sticking a C-foam-pad on each side of liner..In FRONT of the ankle-bone. If there's any sliding of the foot forward = pushing the toes against the front of liner/boot...the added foam filling up the front of the cuff-area will help stop the lower shin/foot from sliding forward....as is often the case. Some liners, as you probably know, just pack out faster than others...

$.01

highpeaksdrifter

All the new boots plactic has a certain amoutn mf memory and will settle back in. .

True dat, especially boots with transparent, easier flexing plastic. I had my Nordica Blowers stretched a little, but it didn’t take. This Friday I had them blown out good over my insteps where the problem is. The top instep buckle had to be removed and redrilled to give me enough room for my high arch. I have bad feet for low volume boots. You just have to keep after it until you get them right, then you have confort and proformance.