• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/19-12/20 Storm Discussion Thread

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Too early to listen to al the Hubbub. Just think snow and work OT. Tuesday and Wednesday would make for nice Half days.

loafer89

It's now looking like the storm will form and pass far enough off the New England coast to give the resorts less appreciable snow accumulation. It is still supposed to snow here on Long Island :D but we do not have any mountains :cry: Hopefully Maine will get hit with the storm at the very least.
I am going to Hunter on Saturday to enjoy the fresh man made PP, It will be my first experience on non spring conditions since Easter.

Zand

From accuweather.com's view, it seems like only eastern Mass from Worcester County east will get something. I guess Blue Hill needs some snow. LOL

Greg

Staff member
Some light rain late this afternoon and evening turned to snow here around 8 PM, along with a 15+ degree temperature drop in the past couple of hours! Less than 1" currently, but it's snowing moderately and very windy...

B

beswift

This week's weather

So, the 20th has arrived. It was pretty sloppy in Worcester according to my brother's eye witness report. Other than that, it seems like the ski areas are planning on using the Artic blast to blow a lot of man-made and save their Holiday week. The temps should go below Zero for a few days this week. Anyone have a on-slope report? :(

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
2"+ right now at Attitash. Snowing strong all morning. Looks like 4" or so for a total from a good radar picture.

Thursday event looking like a brief downer...

B

beswift

Snowfall

Thanks, that doesn't register as a season making snowfall, though. :wink:

Zand

Wow. Not the storm, but the cold. Temp is currently 5 with wind chills below -10. I'll be skiing in 2 hours, so think of my frozen self soon. :( This could almost register as an official blizzard.

B

beswift

Wow

Blowing snow and cold. Sounds like a great day for skiing. What a lot of people don't know is that Goretex blocks the wind better than it does the rain. I'm prepared now for 30 below and blowing snow with heated boots, Entrant (another patent for Goretex's generic) lined Parka (too warm for 0 degrees), thermax long johns, ski mask, and a Goretex coverall for my ski bib. If I fall, I have so much clothing on, I struggle rising, but I'm going to be warm as toast.

ChileMass

teachski said:
No School today, 4-5" with an ice coat underneath, still doing something out there, but there is a lot of blowing too.

'Bout the same here - my kids are home, so I'm working from home today. Still snowing moderately......

bvibert

Staff member
teachski said:
No School today, 4-5" with an ice coat underneath, still doing something out there, but there is a lot of blowing too.

So does that mean you get to go skiing instead?? I wish my work was canceled! :roll:

Greg

Staff member
ChileMass said:
teachski said:

'Bout the same here
Likewise. A bit more in southern CT.

Charlie Schuessler

We had a very good COLD WEATHER SNOW STORM last night and today…it stay below freezing all night and day going in to this evening. About 4" of fine powder snow....which is pleasurable to be in and to drive in…no ice!

Think COLD!

MtnMagic

At about 2000' elevation in the foothills of the Kilkenny we received about 5" of wonderful powder falling until almost noontime. The higher elevations have received more. Will know how much when I hit the next summit. It's certainly a winter wonderland for the last full day of Fall!

Sky, Ghostdog and I snowshoe'd a few miles North of Madison/ Adams et al in Randolph yesterday just before the storm and darkness fell. Not counting snowdrifts there was a good 12" of snow on Mt Crescent (3251'). Hiking Moriah (4049')and Liberty (4459') last week saw a foot to knee deep+ snow, with ice on the summits, before this storm.

Think Cold!
Heck, around here we don't have to think about it. It's going to be -20* here in the Northern Whites tonight! Yes, really -20* here. Why watch tv? Lets go shoeing, skating, skiing and some peakbagging.

After tomorrow, winter arrives!

sledhaulingmedic

Cannon had about 4-6" of super fluffy pow today, with more in the sheltered areas. Great skiing. A tad cool (-7 @ the base of the Zoomer chair @ 14:00), but well worth the trip. Yum

B

beswift

Recent storm

Even down here on Cape Cod we saw an inch of snow, cold temps and some wind, especially in the town of Falmouth. It wasn't enough to allow cross country skiing, though. I did get out in the woods and stirred up the Grouse which is living locally.