• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying used stuff!

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
I stopped into the Salvation Army thrift store today to see if they had any bicycles or parts I could use. Bikes they did not, but to my amazement they had a decent array of Ski stuff. Probably 10 pair of straight ski's and a couple pair of boots. I saw a pair of Salamons that I liked and tried them on. They fit perfectly, I couldn't believe it. When I got home, the first thing I did was see if they fit my bindings. Once again, a perfect fit. I couldn't believe how lucky I got for 10 bucks. It's always good to have another pair of ski boots that fit and are dry just for backup. but who knows, I like them a little better than my Munarri boots.

Just thought I would share the good news. And if anyone is looking for a pair or 2 of backup straight skis for some company or something, check out your local Salvation Army store.

-X

bvibert

Staff member
Make sure you have the forward pressure on the bindings checked with the new boots. Just because they click in doesn't mean the bindings are adjusted correctly...

Congrats on the find, I hope they serve you well.

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Thanks, I wasn't sure If i was going to sill have some adjusting to do. Like I said, I wanted to use them as backups, but I may switch. Really I bought them for my new Elans which are my backup ski's just to have a full set. I figure at very least they can serve as a free rental for a friend if need be. They seem to match Sole Points perfectly. The heel lip and top lips are pretty much exact with the current boots I am using.

SkiDog

I troll these places regularly...never know when somone passes that had some good stuff in the garage...or some mad ex wifey sell off hubbies stuff...

I find that whats usually best is the bindings...you can find great binders that arent made anymore like Sallie 957, last metal heel and DIN to 14.......not indemnified, but you could have a buddy mount em.

M

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks, I wasn't sure If i was going to sill have some adjusting to do. Like I said, I wanted to use them as backups, but I may switch. Really I bought them for my new Elans which are my backup ski's just to have a full set. I figure at very least they can serve as a free rental for a friend if need be. They seem to match Sole Points perfectly. The heel lip and top lips are pretty much exact with the current boots I am using.

You should be able to read the BSL (Boot Sole Length) somewhere on the lower part of the boot. It'll be a 3 digit number, which is the length of the sole in millimeters. If those match up you're probably alright. If not you'll likely need to have the bindings adjusted, or learn how to do it yourself. If you search the internet you should be able to find the info you need. Most people will tell you to take them to a shop either way though... You want to make sure your binding is going to release when it's supposed to...

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Is there any margin of error? Like should it be EXACT or is a few off ok? I cannot find the number on my old Munaris. Anywhere. But when i flip the boots to match the soles the new ones might be shorter by 4MM at best.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm no binding expert, I should probably stop giving out advice before I get myself in trouble. I believe there is some wiggle room, but I have no idea how much. The best would be to have them checked, for your own safety, or find out how to check yourself. It seems pretty easy to check to me, but different bindings have different ways to check, so I can't speak for everything. Then again I don't really have any idea what I'm talking about other than what I've read in the internet.

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
I am going to have to stop by the shop to have those other bindings put on the blue skis anyways. I will just see if they can make both sets of bindings interchangeable with either pair of boots. That's what I would really like. The option to use either boot with either ski. I'm sure it is fine though. I have definitely messed around with the bindings a bit in the past and it didn't have that much effect. At least not enough that it wouldn't be noticeable if unsafe. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I appreciate your input anyways. Noone else bothered to give me any.

wa-loaf

Is there any margin of error? Like should it be EXACT or is a few off ok? I cannot find the number on my old Munaris. Anywhere. But when i flip the boots to match the soles the new ones might be shorter by 4MM at best.

Look up your bindings online, see if you can find a service manual to check your forward pressure. Markers have a screw that needs to be flush to the back, most others have a tab (on the track) with hash marks and an arrow (on the binding) that should fit in the middle. My info may be dated.

snoseek

Whenever I need something I check goodwill before I go out and buy it. Some amazing stuff in there, along with a lot of crap. Most of my kitchen stuff (excluding knives, they need to be quality) came from goodwill. I can afford to buy new, but then I wouldn't be taking winters off.

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Whenever I need something I check goodwill before I go out and buy it. Some amazing stuff in there, along with a lot of crap. Most of my kitchen stuff (excluding knives, they need to be quality) came from goodwill. I can afford to buy new, but then I wouldn't be taking winters off.

Yeah, the goodwill place was awesome. I might buy up a few of the skis just to rip the bindings off. If I can find better Bindings than my tyrolias to put on, I just might. I should have nabbed the poles as well.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Definitely do the adjustment. A friend of mine bought new boots and didn't adjust, they "seemed to fit" . Fifth day out he hit a bump hard (like he often does) and came flying out of both bindings.

NJSkiBabe

I WOULD NOT buy old equipment no matter how cheap it is.

Be very careful buying old skis and old bindings. Most ski shops WILL NOT work on old bindings because they are off the indemnified list (insurance purposes). Each year when NEW bindings come out - older bindings fall off the list of the ones the ski shops are legally allowed to work on. Any bindings over about 6 years old is taking a chance. If you do buy old bindings YOU can take the choice to adjust them yourself if you want to. Remember it is your life.

Same with the old straight skis - that's why they are in the Salvation Army. No one wants them anymore.
If you buy them - use them for decoration and hang them on the wall. You're working harder to ski than you need to.

Buying old ski boots is also taking a big chance.

NJSkiBabe

Almost all of the new skis are packaged with particular bindings for that ski. Unfortunately there is no more switching bindings on skis.

Hawkshot99

Look up your bindings online, see if you can find a service manual to check your forward pressure. Markers have a screw that needs to be flush to the back, most others have a tab (on the track) with hash marks and an arrow (on the binding) that should fit in the middle. My info may be dated.

Your info is somewhat dated. Older markers, were supposed to be flush. Then their were several notches on the forward pressure indicator(what notch depends on your DIN). Now their is 1 notch that must be flush with the housing.

You are correct on the remainder of forward pressure indicators.

Hawkshot99

I will just see if they can make both sets of bindings interchangeable with either pair of boots. That's what I would really like. The option to use either boot with either ski.

Is this possible to have work? Yes, but if you came in my shop it would not work out.

Each boot is different. They have different wear patterns on the bottom, and possible different Boot Sole Lengths. Both of these effect the release.

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
I appreciate all of the advice and info guys, but I think a lot of you are just a bit too commercialized. Straight skis worked for over 100 years without clip in bindings at all. Somehow I don't think they all of a sudden won't work. They might have not have the same feel as a shaped ski, which I would hope they don't because that would defeat the purpose of owning shaped skis. The tyrolia bindings I am putting on my new elans are coming off a very similar set of elans. It's a flat deck and not raised rails. That is the real issue as to why bindings won't work on a lot of new skis. Worst comes to worst, I buy new bindings. I personally did not like the bindings that were going to come with the ski and said I would rather put on ones I have at home. The owner of the shop said, thats fine and that I could bring them in to be done.
As far as the ski boots go, they are newer and in better shape than the boots I have been using for about 10 years now. Somehow, I think they will also be alright. I will heed the advice of the senior members of this forum and have them checked specifically with my current bindings and then have the new skis matched to them. The boot sole length is only off by about 4-5 MM and I am pretty sure there is an adjustable point on the bindings that willl cover the difference.
Thanks for everyones concern though.