• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Text message to the group or a group facility

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
OK tekkies, rally to the noble cause.

I got to thinking about the az radio frequency. more people have cells than radios. cells are finally starting to work better in the mts.

I often decide only in the AM where I will ski that day. I have a cell, it has text message. Without knowing all the numbers of interested AZ'ers, is there a facility where I can send a text message to a self-subscribing pre-arranged text distribution list. No, I don't do cell email or blackberry.

I'd like to send a message - "hey, billski here. I'm at Mt. snow today. Text me to meet for a run or two..."

get the idea? ready, set, tek!

Thanks.

tcharron

OK tekkies, rally to the noble cause.

I got to thinking about the az radio frequency. more people have cells than radios. cells are finally starting to work better in the mts.

I often decide only in the AM where I will ski that day. I have a cell, it has text message. Without knowing all the numbers of interested AZ'ers, is there a facility where I can send a text message to a self-subscribing pre-arranged text distribution list. No, I don't do cell email or blackberry.

I'd like to send a message - "hey, billski here. I'm at Mt. snow today. Text me to meet for a run or two..."

get the idea? ready, set, tek!

Thanks.

It's a good idea, but generally, SMS services like that cost money based on volume. On the other hand, most cell companies allow email to be sent, like 1234567890@vtext.com, which gets to the phone via SMS.

Greg

Staff member
billski - I know you say you really don't like it, but the T&E forum works quite well. Start a thread, even one or two days out, and you'll probably get some interest. You can then exchange cell #'s via PM if need be. It works quite well. You should really try it.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Cheap geek answer: I'll bet you could subsribe cell phones with text messaging to a yahoo group. Then you store the group address like billskischeaperthanyou@yahoogroups.com in your phone and text messaging that address would get to the rest.

Most phones can be emailed if you know the company that the are on. For instance, verizon customers can use xxx5551212@vtext.com (you can guess the phone number part).

Phone Spam Cheap Or Die!