• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help finding possible 'lost' Campground/Hike in White Mountains

deadheadskier

Staff member
As a kid in Boyscouts, we took a trip every March to a spot in the White Mountains that I think was called Hemingway. It was in the lower Whites on the Route 16 side and had a fire tower on top of it from which you could see the Louden speedway off in the distance. There were two cabins on the mountain. The lower one was two floors with two rooms on either side, no bunks, you just slept in your sleeping bag on the floor. Very rustic. The top one was a bit more sophisticated as it had a sink and water storage tank for it and a few cots. What I do remember is it was about a half hour hike from the parking lot to the lower cabin, another five from there to the upper and then a good half hour to the top where you could climb the fire tower.

I've tried google searching to the best of my abilities, but can't seem to locate this particular place.

Anyone familiar with this region and might know the location I'm talking about?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
How about Hemenway State Forest, in Tamworth? Was the left-hand tower, on Great Hill, in this article, the one?

"From the top of the 1,270-foot summit, there are grand views north to the nearby Sandwich Range, south toward the Ossipee Mountains, and westward toward the peaks towering above the Squam Lakes region."