• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: January 13, 2008

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: January 13, 2008

Resort: Burke Mountain

Conditions: MG/FG

Weather: Partly cloudy, highs in the mid-30’s.

2007-2008 Trip Report #: 27 (20 days at Burke!)

Another day at the mountain. Conditions were as expected, FG that was groomed and somewhat loose in places. We’ve lost a lot of snow.

Though others were intimidated by the conditions, fear not. The Dawn Patrol reported in for duty:

IMG_0266.jpg

Well, there were three routes off the top. “Right, middle, and left.” You could not get lost with those choices. We took one run down Willoughby/Bear Den/Gap and found “starched corduroy” as the original trailboss put it.

IMG_0276.jpg

Danny zoomed down Gap:

IMG_0277.jpg

And then we decided to head to the East Side. Over there was one route down via Upper Dipper to Deer Run (middle Dipper we’ll call it was closed) and then back to Dipper. The snow was firm and softened to become mini-death cookies of sorts. We did a grand total of five spins down this before the beer lights all came on. Some pictures:

Morning Sun on Upper Dipper

IMG_0282.jpg

The original trailboss…just too fast for the paparazzi:

IMG_0284.jpg

Leave it to Matt to screw up a perfect Burke Brochure Picture:

IMG_0288.jpg

Then we went in for beer and lunch. The cookies were a real hit, as Danny can attest to here:

IMG_0290.jpg

After lunch, I headed up for Willoughby top to bottom, and then down to the lower mountain for some spins and to check E-mail. The terrain was edge-to-edge, but Binney Lane needs some snow soon…

The view from above:

IMG_0303.jpg

The weather was great today, as was the visibility.

Jay Peak, over 50 miles away!

IMG_0270.jpg

And a cold Lake Willoughby:

IMG_0297.jpg

Poma Update: The Poma was spinning today…although at 1pm or so it was down and the crew was working on it…fingers crossed everything will be up and running again soon.

Well, now that the Giants are playing Sunday night, methinks I need to come up to watch the game and to ski at Burke on Monday.

I hope we get some more before then…word has it that snowguns were being positioned at Burke and lines were being charged…fingers crossed.

The Album.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Why ya dissing Sugarbush? ;)

:blink: Huh? I was not dissing anyone. But I do need to give SB more loving....my schedule has not allowed me to get over there...I smell a trip coming up soon. :wink:

Lostone and others are going to have forgotten what I look like. :lol: