• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats Peak AZ Ski Team - 1/14/08

skibum9995

I showed up early at about 2:00 to get some skiing in with the new snow falling. Others rolled in early as well but I didn't see anyone else until going inside at 5:00 or so. We all meet up at the top just after 6:00 and did a few inspection runs and then lined up for the race.

The snow was wicked soft and didn't make for great racing conditions. I got a ski hung up in a mound of soft snow and crashed on my first run in the red course. Others had trouble on red as well with roark getting off balance and tree_skier missing a gate, although the didn't get a DSQ.

2nd tree_skier 19.02 9.31 9.24
10th ga2ski 19.71 17.67 9.16
11th skibum9995 19.74 17.85 6.82
25th riverc0il 21.48 23.45 5.63
31st roark 22.17 27.41 5.13
33rd Pete 21.39 27.70 5.07
45th James 26.37 57.43 1.00

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nice jump ahead in time this week skibum9995. I thought it was interesting that even though I was faster on the blue course, I think I got a better handicapped time on the red course. That is pretty neat they reward better skiing on the tougher course more than a better time on the easier course. Soft snow definitely was no good for racing but trail conditions were nice all over. Still some scratchy base on the sides of the trail but I did score a little bit of powder, not a bad night. ga2ski threw in eight tele turns tonight, if I heard correctly?

skibum9995

I forgot the best part.

A few of us had the pleasure of seeing some guy skiing with a headlamp. Two little LEDs illuminating a very small spot right in front of his tips. Had he seen anything with the light, he wouldn't have had any time to react. It was hilarious, made my night. Video of my crash was pretty good too, and got a rewind to see it again.

tree_skier

I was second on both courses, with a 9.03 and 10.43 handicap (both platinum), so my little patented move had little effect except a slghtly lower handicap and if I was a sandbagger like a former teammate then I wouldn't want that anyway. Can we get a check on vladimir's green card for monday nights?

tree_skier

I had a flashback to BobR, my former running partner as when I finished the first run I turned around and saw skibum covered in snow and the same result in a fun run although the woods wern't involved.

ga2ski

Had a blast last night. Two very fun courses. Courses had up well. Lots of fresh snow to jump around in.

Only downfall was I sized one of my poles in a crash after the race for either Skibum or Bob. The highest bidder gets half a pole. The low bidder can go search for the other half on Hurricane.

As for Vladimir, I saw him take a few fun runs. That guy is fast and he looks the part too.

Sorry i couldn't stick around afterwards, I finished snowblowing and shoveling around 10:30.

Oh yeah I forgot about loosing a glove and pole at the start gate on my first run. That was intersesting.

roark

Got there early as well, enjoyed the soft stuff from about 3-5. Saw a truck on its side on the access road. Not sure how one managed to do that! Met up with riv for a few runs before catching up with the gang.

Dave definitely stepped it up despite sounding like crap and falling over before the start. Not bad for a senior citizen.

Competition seems a bit tougher at the top this year for Mondays - we're missing Bob's pts for sure. I dropped off a bit - skibum mentioned how the runs that feel good typically aren't your better times... that was the case for me. He really picked it up on the 2nd run... lowest handicap for him yet? Peter seemed to enjoy the demos... I think an expensive seed has been planted.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Maybe being a POS like this is why Hot 2nd knew who I was.;)[/COLOR]
Infamous it is!! :razz:

Did anyone stay last night? How long did they take before delivering results? I wouldn't mind sticking around for results and a beverage most nights, but was not interested in not getting to bed until almost midnight last night and took a powder before the lights were shut off on the slopes.

roark

Did anyone stay last night? How long did they take before delivering results?

Again, pretty slow. Another team was getting anxious (and perhaps a wee bit inebriated) and were more vocally impatient. But watching skibum9995's crash made the wait worth it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Too bad I missed the crash. ga2ski, you need to work Hot 2nd to get results faster. I understand they are probably delaying results to increase beer money, but it is the point of diminishing returns. Folks like me can not stick around over an hour waiting for results... so they are pushing results too late and loosing beer money.