• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smugglers Notch - 1/13/08 - 1/14/08

damutha

Date(s) Skied: January 13-14, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Smuggler's Notch

Conditions: Spring-like on Sunday, some fresh powder on Monday

Trip Report: After sweating it out all of last week because of the weather, my family (wife, 4 year old son and 1 year old daughter) and I decided to suck it up and go on our long-planned trip to Smuggs. We rented a condo for 3 nights, Saturday - Monday nights. With much packing and about a 3.5 drive from Northern Mass, we got in around 7:45 p.m Saturday night and settled in. Though it was dark, we could tell there was lot of bare ground around.

Waking up on Saturday, we looked up and saw the somewhat grim upper reaches of the mountains. Weather was in low 30s, sunny, nice. We dropped our 4 year old off in one of the all-day ski camps, and plopped the 1 year old in Treasures day care. Off to the slopes, first time in 6 years for both of us. All lifts were open, but only about 55% of terrain. It turns out that the open trails were in pretty good condition, and there were absolutely zero lift lines and almost nobody on the slopes. Morse Mountain was perfect for my wife, who is a still a novice, and a good warm-up for me. Eventually I crossed over to Sterling and Madonna for a few runs, with the open trails again being in pretty good shape. There were pretty much no blacks open, but I didn't mind given my 6 year hiatus and general lack of conditioning. I got in several runs, and finished up the day satisfied. We picked up our son, and he was loving his first time out and got rave reviews. Picked up the 1 year old, nothing much to report there :smile:

Next day we get up, snow is falling, a little colder. Pretty much same plan, drop off the kids, hit the greens on Morse, and then split up. There was a little more terrain open, and I got to check out some more of Madonna and Sterling. Probably a couple of inches of fresh powder during the day. Again, no lift lines, plenty of alone time on the trails. Legs were burning, face mask was on, all was good in the world. Son went up on the lift twice on his second day, and is psyched to try it out again sometime soon. Mission accomplished---I need to get the family skiing so I can regain my long-lost love. :spread:

Today (the 15th), we had to check out, everyone was gassed, so we hit the pool for a couple of hours before heading out.

All in all, we had a great time and the less than ideal conditions didn't cause any issues for us. I'm glad we decided to go, and I've definitely been bitten by the bug again and hope to go again several more times this season. I thought Smuggs lived up to its reputation as a great family place, and we left wishing we had more days there and more time to participate in a lot of the offered activities.

Greg

Staff member
Very cool! Glad everything worked out for you.

Ski Hick

Cannon Mt. NH., Smuggs VT. Valle Nevado Chile
As a property owner at Smuggs ..I'm gald you had a good time ..my kids are older, but many fun times where had over the years at Smuggs (both winter and summer)...the kids plan to be back up with my wife and I the first week in March ..great time to go

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Date(s) Skied: January 13-14, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Smuggler's Notch

Conditions: Spring-like on Sunday, some fresh powder on Monday

Trip Report: After sweating it out all of last week because of the weather, my family (wife, 4 year old son and 1 year old daughter) and I decided to suck it up and go on our long-planned trip to Smuggs. We rented a condo for 3 nights, Saturday - Monday nights. With much packing and about a 3.5 drive from Northern Mass, we got in around 7:45 p.m Saturday night and settled in. Though it was dark, we could tell there was lot of bare ground around.

Waking up on Saturday, we looked up and saw the somewhat grim upper reaches of the mountains. Weather was in low 30s, sunny, nice. We dropped our 4 year old off in one of the all-day ski camps, and plopped the 1 year old in Treasures day care. Off to the slopes, first time in 6 years for both of us. All lifts were open, but only about 55% of terrain. It turns out that the open trails were in pretty good condition, and there were absolutely zero lift lines and almost nobody on the slopes. Morse Mountain was perfect for my wife, who is a still a novice, and a good warm-up for me. Eventually I crossed over to Sterling and Madonna for a few runs, with the open trails again being in pretty good shape. There were pretty much no blacks open, but I didn't mind given my 6 year hiatus and general lack of conditioning. I got in several runs, and finished up the day satisfied. We picked up our son, and he was loving his first time out and got rave reviews. Picked up the 1 year old, nothing much to report there :smile:

Next day we get up, snow is falling, a little colder. Pretty much same plan, drop off the kids, hit the greens on Morse, and then split up. There was a little more terrain open, and I got to check out some more of Madonna and Sterling. Probably a couple of inches of fresh powder during the day. Again, no lift lines, plenty of alone time on the trails. Legs were burning, face mask was on, all was good in the world. Son went up on the lift twice on his second day, and is psyched to try it out again sometime soon. Mission accomplished---I need to get the family skiing so I can regain my long-lost love. :spread:

Today (the 15th), we had to check out, everyone was gassed, so we hit the pool for a couple of hours before heading out.

All in all, we had a great time and the less than ideal conditions didn't cause any issues for us. I'm glad we decided to go, and I've definitely been bitten by the bug again and hope to go again several more times this season. I thought Smuggs lived up to its reputation as a great family place, and we left wishing we had more days there and more time to participate in a lot of the offered activities.

Welcome back to the sport. Glad it worked out. I'll bet you were feeling a bit lonely, no? Not a weekend to be a hero on the slopes anyways, just as well it was laid back.

anyways, I'd like to hear about the snow conditions on the trails. What were you skiing? frozen gran,? and how much manmade or natural was atop it all. Did the consistency vary much (I presume you were on blues and greens.)

Also weather wise - it was pretty cold (relatively speaking) correct?

I fear that this MLK weekend is going to bring out a lot of pent-up demand, and now with snow back in the burbs it's going to be a madhouse this weekend.

How did your kids like the day care?

damutha

Welcome back to the sport. Glad it worked out. I'll bet you were feeling a bit lonely, no? Not a weekend to be a hero on the slopes anyways, just as well it was laid back.

anyways, I'd like to hear about the snow conditions on the trails. What were you skiing? frozen gran,? and how much manmade or natural was atop it all. Did the consistency vary much (I presume you were on blues and greens.)

Also weather wise - it was pretty cold (relatively speaking) correct?

I fear that this MLK weekend is going to bring out a lot of pent-up demand, and now with snow back in the burbs it's going to be a madhouse this weekend.

How did your kids like the day care?

Lonely is not a bad thing on the slopes, that's for sure.

Conditions-wise, it was pretty consistent on everything that was open---I'd say mainly frozen granular, with the most manmade being on the greens and the connecting "flat" trails. You are correct that I was mainly on blues/greens---frankly, I think there were only 1 or 2 diamonds open (including the one that induced my one fall over the trip, and it was because of a hidden icy patch). On Monday it was snowing the whole day, not real heavily, but with pretty stiff wind. There were a couple of inches of new powder down by afternoon. Overall, I was pleased (and somewhat surprised) by the lack of icy spots, given the week-long melt and the abundance of amateur snowboarders scraping away.

On Sunday it was quite warm; on Monday, like I said, it was snowing and blowing, and it was pretty chilly (mid-20s without wind chill). They closed the lower Madonna lift because of wind. Tuesday I didn't ski, but it was overcast again, a lot of fog in the upper mountains. Mid-20s again.

My son seemed to really like the ski camp (Dynamos), and my 1 year old seems to have enjoyed the daycare (she's remaining mum on the subject). It was great to be "kid-free" for the better part of 2 days. I'm definitely hungry for more.

SKIQUATTRO

31 were open on Wed when we left, but we were taking snowboarding lessons so we stayed on Morse all day...