• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown 1/16/08 (night)

bvibert

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: 1/16/08

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown - New Hartford, CT

Conditions: Machined groomed man-made, patches of hard pack. Snow-making in progress after 9:00

Trip Report: I got on skis by about 7:00 which seems to be par for the course. They were grooming Stinger and Temptor so they had Nor'Easter roped at that point. I decided to take my first run down Gunny, assuming that it had just been groomed. It had not been, and was pretty slick in spots. The racer kids didn't seem to be having too much trouble on it, but I flailed down with absolutely no style. I fell twice, both times needing to dig my edges in to stop from sliding all the way down the mountain, which resulted in a large plume of ice shavings which covered me from head to toe. By the time I got up from my second fall I looked as if snow-making had already started. Not a great start to the night. When I got back to the top they were just dropping the rope on Nor'Easter so I dropped in there. I started down the upper part of the Nor'Easter bumps, but wasn't really feeling it so I took advantage of the fresh grooming on Temptor and made 3rd tracks down it. It was already after 7:20 when I got back to the top, so I decided to wait for the 7:30 meetup at the sun deck. After a few minutes gmcunni and his buddy showed up, we waited around a few more minutes to see if 2knees or MRGisevil would show up. They didn't so gmcunni and I headed over to Nor'Easter while his buddy went to do a little exploring. The bumps were actually in really good shape, most of them being covered with a soft, edgable top coating with only a few slick back-sides here and there. The lines seem to be about the same as the last time I skied them, although admittedly I mostly stuck to the right line. Some parts of the left side still had untracked man-made from the night before. The bumps on Ex weren't nearly as nice, though several are much more defined. They seemed to be slicker and even more consolidated than they were a few days ago. There was one of two decent lines most of the way through though. I skied 3 or 4 runs with gmcunni, who is a solid skier. It was fun skiing the bumps with him, hopefully he can make it out to another Wednesday night gathering when we actually have more of the regulars show up (damn slackers tonight :roll:). I was feeling pretty good in the bumps all night, which is where I stayed save for one run down Canyon Run with gmcunni and his buddy when we met up with him again.

At about 9:00 the snow guns started spraying snow into the air, which is a nice sight. They seemed to have guns going all over the mountain, including lower Nor'Easter. The new snow only made the bumps ski even better, even if it was a little on the sticky side on other parts of the mountain.

The only downer to the night (other than 2knees and MRGisevil letting me down) was that they wouldn't let me on the lift for my last run even though it was only 9:54! :angry: Apparently some patroller told the liftie that he was last chair, even though he wasn't, so they closed the chair as they normally would. That pissed me off because it meant that I didn't end with a good run since I had just kinda blew through the last run thinking that I'd make it count on the next one. Kind of a disappointing way to end an otherwise good night.

My usual disclaimer about posts I make late at night, or in this case early in the morning: I was half asleep before I even started writing this, if any of it doesn't make any sense I'm sorry. I'm way too tired to proof read it, you should consider yourself lucky if most of the words are spelled correctly...

Last edited:

2knees

sorry for missing it. there was some yelling and pouting going on last night at my house but it didtn work out.

Greg

Staff member
Cool. Thanks for upholding the Wednesday night meet-up. Won't be there next Wednesday either (probably shoot for Thursday). Then I'm back at it!

gmcunni

Nice to meet and ski with you last night bvibert. Not being an accomplished bump skier I like things a little softer than what Nor’Easter had to offer but certainly the top of the trail was nice while I really couldn’t find my way towards the bottom.

My buddy and I ended up cruising around the rest of the hill until about 9:30. Once the snow making began I started having less fun, it was stinging my face and I needed an ice scrapper for my goggles.

Hopefully I’ll get to make another Wednesday night AZ gathering soon.

-Gary

Greg

Staff member
I needed an ice scrapper for my goggles.

Try this: after each run, once back on the lift, remove your goggles and lay a bare hand across the lens for 10-15 seconds. All the ice will melt and you can easily swipe it away with your forefinger. Took me 14 years of skiing to learn that one. :oops: (Thanks JimG.)

gmcunni

Try this: after each run, once back on the lift, remove your goggles and lay a bare hand across the lens for 10-15 seconds. All the ice will melt and you can easily swipe it away with your forefinger. Took me 14 years of skiing to learn that one. :oops: (Thanks JimG.)

Thanks Greg (and JimG), i'll give that a try next time.

Grassi21

The only downer to the night (other than 2knees and MRGisevil letting me down) was that they wouldn't let me on the lift for my last run even though it was only 9:54! :angry:

You are a lift supervisor. How could they not let you take one more spin? Heads should be rolling!

bvibert

Staff member

Some runs I needed to clear the goggles off twice before I got down the the bottom, and then again on the lift... :eek: