• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs Jan 11-16

SKIQUATTRO

Smugglers Notch VT
Jan 11-16

Arrived Friday night about 1AM, we stopped at my folks house in CT at 630PM for dinner and change the kids into PJ's..what was supposed to be a quick bite, ended up being a 2hr linger with my wife getting comfy with some red wine!!

Awoke Satuday to mild temps..got the 2.5 yr old off to Treasures day care and the 5yr old off to ski camp, then we were free until 4!! We took a few warm up runs on Morse (1st time out this season) and also allowing Madonna and Sterling to warm up a bit...no bare spots on the trails, temps in mid 30s partly sunny....headed over to Madonna to find only 4-5 runs open....they have snow and alot of it, but what the groomers couldnt hit is competly iced over due to the thaw..there is plenty of snow on the trails and trees..just unskiiable...did a few laps on Madonna then hit Sterling (more open) then headed back to the condo for lunch...hit Sterling in the afternoon, then headed back to Morse around 2 to see the 5yr old ski and see if she wanted to ski with us or go with her camp back in and see the Science show...she chose the show, all good, it was the first day.....so we grabbed the 2.5 yr old, suited her up and did a few laps on the magic carpet before she said "BIG CHAIR" so off we went!!! She loved it, it was warm sunny, perfect day to introduce her to skiing!!

Rest of the week was just laps on the 25-30 open trails, 3-4" fell on Monday, but no bumps, no trees...the groomers were covered and fast!!! Our packaged offered free 1.5 hr of Ski or Snowboard lesson, I wanted to take a tele lesson, but thought it'd be fun to snowboard with the wife and try it out,,,,,, so having skiied the mountain several times over, we thought it'd be fun to try snowboarding on Wednesday (last day) temps were in the 30's and sunny....just my wife and i in the 10am class...we had a great instructor (Travis) after going over some basics, we hit the magic carpet for some laps and get the feel of it.....after 4 laps there, he said, lets go, you 2 are ready for midstation...so off we went!!! I honestly couldnt believe how fast the learning curve was....we spent the rest of the day boarding and having fun, no real diggers, ended the day making some nice short radius turns (no plowing snow) was pretty stoked...

Some shots off Madonna above the clouds (Stowe in the background) on Tuesday

will try to get my snowboarding debut up and running

Last edited:

Zand

Amazing view of Stowe.. the weekend I was at Smuggs in '06, it was all fogged in at the top so I never got to see Stowe from up there. I like the second pic as well... the Madonna chair is insane.

wintersyndrome

great pics out there, though I'm wondering if we should start calling you skivolvo? :)

nice hearing about your cros-over lesson and experience.

hope all is well..ws

SKIQUATTRO

I still have the Audi, so SKIQUATTRO stays (although the Volvo is AWD, it isnt Quattro!!)

Dave L

Website
newbski.blogspot.com
Nice Pics!
First Smuggs trip ever this coming week (Wed-Fri). Really looking forward to it. I've got the wife who's beginning and I 'm ready for just about anything that I think won't end up in too bad a yard sale. Any recommendations? We're staying in Mo' ville and will probably only ski one day (WME passes). Tips for the Base area etc. are welcome...(Sorry to Hijack for info!;-))