• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for Feedback on Volkl AC40

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Anyone have any experience with these?
How do they compare to a narrower ski with regards to your form?
Do they force you into a wider stance?
Are they a good carver?

My friend is considering these and although he's a good skier and has skied since he was a kid, he hasn't really skied much in the last 10-15 years. I warned him that these are midfats, which is fine, but it may force him to ski a style he's not used to.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You ask are they a good carver. Is the friend in question looking for a good carving ski? If skiing groomers is on tap for more than 60-70% of the time, there are better skis. AC40 can lay down a good arc. Not a groomer ripper but better than most mid-fats on the hard pack, that is for sure. Not skiing much in the last 10-15 years suggests not a high skill set so not sure if such a high performance ski would be needed. Also, unless the girth is needed, the 30 would probably be more than adequate. I haven't skied that model since the 724 PRO, so I imagine that the line has had enough changes to make my experience less than direct, but not a ski I would recommend to someone that doesn't have many days on the slopes since the parabolic design came into its own.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I will try and demo them tomorrow, and report back.

Thanks

You ask are they a good carver. Is the friend in question looking for a good carving ski? If skiing groomers is on tap for more than 60-70% of the time, there are better skis. AC40 can lay down a good arc. Not a groomer ripper but better than most mid-fats on the hard pack, that is for sure. Not skiing much in the last 10-15 years suggests not a high skill set so not sure if such a high performance ski would be needed. Also, unless the girth is needed, the 30 would probably be more than adequate. I haven't skied that model since the 724 PRO, so I imagine that the line has had enough changes to make my experience less than direct, but not a ski I would recommend to someone that doesn't have many days on the slopes since the parabolic design came into its own.

I ask if it's a good carver because from speaking with my friend, I believe that would suit him best.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Sorry they were demoed out all day. Customers get first dibs for some reason.....:wink::uzi:

No problem, talked my friend into getting a pair of 2005/2006 K2 Crossfires, brand new for $270. I figured this would be a far better ski for someone that is getting back into skiing after 10+ years. I told him that if he gets back into it, then he may want to consider something in the AC40 category as a second ski later on. Plus, he'd proabably get a better deal on them at the end of the season. But thanks for offering to demo and get back to us.

Paul

No problem, talked my friend into getting a pair of 2005/2006 K2 Crossfires, brand new for $270. I figured this would be a far better ski for someone that is getting back into skiing after 10+ years. I told him that if he gets back into it, then he may want to consider something in the AC40 category as a second ski later on. Plus, he'd proabably get a better deal on them at the end of the season. But thanks for offering to demo and get back to us.

I think that's an overall better choice. And damn good price to boot!

Mildcat

I love my crossfires. Great edge hold on hard pack and good in the bumps even if I suck in the bumps. Not bad in some (but not too much) fresh Pow. Not bad in crud but more work than AC4's. Great price.