• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 011908

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Date(s) Skied: 011908

Resort or Ski Area: Sunday River

Conditions: PP/Some Fluff/Some Hardback/Ice

Trip Report:

I got on the mountain at 9am. Starting at the South Ridge lodge, I skied alone (was keeping my out for my teen son) and worked my way over to Locke Mountain and eventually White Cap. The temps were in the low to mid twenties, the sun was out and the crowds were mounting.

The surface condtions are what I expected: hard back with stashes of fluffed snow on the edges. The last snow must have been a little wet since the snow on the edges was a little crusty. I chose a strategy of riding the fixed-grip chairs since they had very short lines and seemingly brought me to less busy trails. With the combination of the hard-pack and busy slopes, it was hard to really open up and go fast responsibly so I spent more time working on the powdery stashes that were deposited in 15' strips on the sides of the trails-nice stuff.

DSC00182.jpg

Shockwave was very bumped and a bit icey. There was zero tolerance for loose boots and back-seat skiing! That's a great, challenging run.

DSC00190.jpg

At about lunch time I got back to South Ridge and met with some friends who were a mix of beginners and intermediates. We hung around the South Ridge lifts for a few runs- busy but well-managed lines.

Eventually, I broke off to go toward Jordan Bowl. As the day progressed, more hard, icy spots were showing up, Not surprisingly, most of the glade runs are closed. I kept with my strategy of skiing the less-traveled trails in order to ski the fluff on the side and this worked pretty well. I hopped into Tin Woodsman, betting on some less travelled snow. This wasn't a great choice in the afternoon-it's pretty icy in spots. I crested a bump just to find a big patch of blue ice on the back side of it. This resulted in a single-ejection crash that severely bruised my ego and invoked gaper techniques for completing the run.

3676101803_ORIG.jpg

As you can see in the pic above the sun was sitting low on the horizon at this part of the day (around 3). This created a flat-light scenario on most trails which made it hard to read where the ice patches were. I was a little sore from the crash, getting tired and with the crowds, it wasn't as fun as it had been earlier in the day, so I cruised back to lodge and called it a day.

I have spliced together some stills and vids from my camera to make this little video. The music goes longer than the images, but that's okay. I'll figure that out another day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nice vid and pics Chris. Looks like you had a really enjoyable day. Nice sun, temps. The pow you filmed looked very fine. Another fall, another day. A hard fall is very humbling. A stupid fall is just embarassing. Hobbling into work this week, eh? No wonder people who don't ski think we're nutz! :)