• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf 1/19-20/08

shwilly

Date(s) Skied: 1/19-20/08

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarloaf

Conditions: PP, groomed, powder

Trip Report: We had another nice weekend at Sugarloaf, unfortunately cut short because of wind today.

Saturday we started around 9:30. The best runs of the day were tree runs on the upper west side. On my first run I had a scary moment, got a bit too much speed and headed for a tree. I managed to get a hand up and my wrist absorbed the impact. No major injury, but the wrist is still sore. Eventually we went to Cant Dog and found conditions much worse, with lots of underbrush and rocks. I accidentally picked a line which required my father in law to jump a 5-6' drop. (He landed it.) We had lunch at Bullwinkle's and took the afternoon a bit easier.

Sunday we got there later and got on the hill around 10:30. On our first lift ride we were accompanied by tots taking a lesson. I got a little tot when he fell off a chair in front of us while trying to load. He was tiny! I had to pick him up to get him on the lift then help make sure he could unload. The little kids were so tiny they sat forward on the chair to reach the bar. I felt nervous the entire time that one would slide off the chair, so I was ready to grab them.

Somehow snow drifting plus a small new amount overnight led to much nicer conditions around King Pine than there had been Saturday. The run of the day was skier's right of Widowmaker and Choker, which had beautiful wind-drifted pow and chop. I lapped this many times. After our lunch break we found that Spillway East was closed due to wind, so we cut the day short and made it to the Rack well before kickoff.

This morning we turned on WSKI and heard about 80 mph gusts at the top of Spillway and 3T shutting down because its parts were freezing, so we bagged it. On the drive home, we heard the terrible news about a kid dying on Haul Back around the time we were doing King Pine laps on Saturday. We had never seen any sign of trouble.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
On our first lift ride we were accompanied by tots taking a lesson. I got a little tot when he fell off a chair in front of us while trying to load. He was tiny! I had to pick him up to get him on the lift then help make sure he could unload. The little kids were so tiny they sat forward on the chair to reach the bar. I felt nervous the entire time that one would slide off the chair, so I was ready to grab them.

that's dangerous. they never should have left a kid that small go alone, let alone rely on the kindness of strangers.
:smash: