• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boots and moisture (snow creep)

wa-loaf

My boots, Nordica Hot Rods, have a problem with letting a lot of snow creep into the shell which then melts and makes my toes cold. Other than this I love these boots and i guess it's kind of a known problem with the Nordica Doberman shell and Lange's as well.. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than sticking some duct tape over the seam) for helping prevent this from happening.

Thanks!

bvibert

Staff member
I don't think you have many choices other than the duct tape thing. Don't most boots let snow in? My boots are always wet on the inside of the shell... Maybe you could wrap your liner in some sort of plastic? Then your feet might get sweaty though...

wa-loaf

True, but I've never had it this bad before. And the liners now have the stretchy toe caps that seem to act as sponges. Maybe I'll try a little scotch guard in that area.

Greg

Staff member
Enough snow/water seeps in during the day that your feet get cold, or are they still damp from the previous outing? I don't always do it, but if I know I'm not going to be skiing for a few days, I pull the liners out, remove the footbeds and let everything dry thoroughly. This is the state my boots are in right now. Usually only takes 2 days sitting in the coolish basement for them to dry completely.

wa-loaf

Enough snow/water seeps in during the day that your feet get cold, or are they still damp from the previous outing? I don't always do it, but if I know I'm not going to be skiing for a few days, I pull the liners out, remove the footbeds and let everything dry thoroughly. This is the state my boots are in right now. Usually only takes 2 days sitting in the coolish basement for them to dry completely.

No, I pull the liners and footbeds out after every ski day. I always start the day with dry boots.

Greg

Staff member
No, I pull the liners and footbeds out after every ski day. I always start the day with dry boots.

So the boots are getting that wet throughout the day? Are you sure it's coming in through the shell/liner, or is it sweat? Maybe try antiperspirant on your feet?

trtaylor

My boots, Nordica Hot Rods, have a problem with letting a lot of snow creep into the shell which then melts and makes my toes cold. Other than this I love these boots and i guess it's kind of a known problem with the Nordica Doberman shell and Lange's as well.. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than sticking some duct tape over the seam) for helping prevent this from happening.

Thanks!
Go to Home Depot and buy a roll of red duct tape.

wa-loaf

So the boots are getting that wet throughout the day? Are you sure it's coming in through the shell/liner, or is it sweat? Maybe try antiperspirant on your feet?

It's not sweat. It's snow coming in through the front of the overlap into the shell.

trtaylor

Like spray silicone? Or a replacement toe dam?
Neither. I meant get some clear silicone sealant and work it in around the edges of the toe dam to better seal where the rubber meets the plastic. You'd probaly want to mask off the surrounding area (with masking tape) so the silicone doesn't end up where you don't want it.

wa-loaf

Neither. I meant get some clear silicone sealant and work it in around the edges of the toe dam to better seal where the rubber meets the plastic. You'd probaly want to mask off the surrounding area (with masking tape) so the silicone doesn't end up where you don't want it.

OH right like silicon bathtub caulk. That's a good idea. Put some duct tape over it and it should make a great seal.

tjf67

Thanks!

I have the same boots and the same problem. I bought a pair of boot gloves. They keep my feet warm and dry all day.

tjf67

Like spray silicone? Or a replacement toe dam?

its not jsut the toe jam. They also take in snow where the two pieces of plastic cross all the way up to where it bends at the ankle. Horrible but the new models dont do that anymore. Drifter has this years model and I looked at his boot and they had no snow going in them. They look the same but something is different.

wa-loaf

its not jsut the toe jam. They also take in snow where the two pieces of plastic cross all the way up to where it bends at the ankle. Horrible but the new models dont do that anymore. Drifter has this years model and I looked at his boot and they had no snow going in them. They look the same but something is different.

Yea, that gasket acts more like a rain gutter than a seal. Not sure if I want to go with the boot glove, but it may be a last resort.

tjf67

Yea, that gasket acts more like a rain gutter than a seal. Not sure if I want to go with the boot glove, but it may be a last resort.

The only problem with the boot glove is that you can not release the lower buckles on the ride up. I got used to it. It takes two seconds to put on and makes all the differance in the world