• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking For Advice on Skis

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
I'm looking to buy new skis. I like to carve groomers/cruisers FAST, some bumps, Pow when I can get it, and trees. I also ski backcountry. I know I'm looking at an all mountain ski and I found a couple options. Opinions would be excellent. I also need new boots but haven't found anything specific yet.

Ski #1 - Rossignol Bandit B78 with Axium 120 Bindings
S158.jpg

I've skied the B74 and liked it alot. I noticed alot of chatter when turning hard, though. I really had to power into the turns to get rid of it.

Ski #2 - Line Blend
CM165.jpg

Have never skied this, but have seen lots of good thigns about them in online reviews. They don't come with bindings at the places i've found, so I'd need to get bindings, too. I was thinking the same bingings (Pro2 Axium 120) that come with the Rossi bandits. I also like that these skis are twintips.

Binding Choice 1 - Rossignol Axial2 120 Pro WB
21UWyu32eKL._AA250_.jpg

I really know nothing about bindings.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You pretty much covered every aspect of eastern skiing in your terrain preferences. Is there any type of skiing you do not like? :lol:

Kidding aside, what do you see yourself skiing the most. Separate question and note the difference, what terrain do you want to enjoy and get the most out of in your skiing?

You mention backcountry... are you considering a touring binding down the road? This presents the issue of whether you might want to get a flat ski and avoid binding systems just in case you want to change the binding down the road. The other option is to just buy another ski if you decide to mount a touring binding.

You specifically mention fast cruising and groomers, so my thoughts instantly gravitate towards mid-fats more groomer oriented such as a Volkl AC 30/40. I imagine the Fischer and Head offerings in this class would be good to consider as well, though I am unfamiliar with specific models.

Best thing to do would be to go to a demo day that offers a lot of different brands and try out the mid-fats from all the major companies. Try a few different sizes too if you are in between. You will find a lot more answers that fit your needs at a demo day than you will online.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
My Opinion...since you asked...

no one ski does all things well

You want to ski bumps, get a bump ski...my dynastars verticals

You want back country...get my Rockets

You want carvers...volkl supersports

All mountain? All the above

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
The only thing I really don't like and don't see myself getting into is the park. I pretty much like everything else. I don't see touring bindings down the road, really. I'm also planning right not on college out weest and I'd like to be able to take these skis with me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Brettski has the right idea, but someone looking into college is going to have a hard enough time buying one ski, let alone two. If you are looking into college out west, might as well go with a larger mid-fat perhaps around 85ish in the waist. Bumps and railing the groomers on hard pack tend to indicate characteristics that are not compatible, so you'll need to make a choice there. With a so call "all mountain mid-fat" you are going to have to compromise and sacrifice, it is the nature of a one ski quiver and there is no do it all ski. Based on everything you have wrote so far, I would be looking at the Volkl AC40 but there are still lots of unanswered questions. You need to try some skis out and get a feel for what you like and what ski best meets your needs, technique, style, etc. Good luck.

ccskier

Atomic, can't go wrong. Check out the sweet daddy.

http://www.atomicsnow.com/int/products/alpin/ski/daddies/sweet-daddy.html

I have the Snoop Daddy's a better fit for the conditions I ski in. Don't bother with with the metron series if you plan to ski off-piste. They are junk, I went through 3 pairs of m9's in 2 years, bases and edges are junk, can't handle rocks, stumps or any other objects you may encounter

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
thanks rivercoil. I am gonna look at some demo days and see what I think. I demoed the Rossi B74s and really liked 'em. If I had to choose bumps or groomers, i'd pick the groomers, but I don't want a ski that'll cripple me in the bumps. I'll check out the Volkls and the atomic skis mentinaed above.

Hawkshot99

I would give a demo to a pair of Scott P3's. One of the most fun skis I have ever used. It is a real stiff twin tip. Low 80's underfoot(depends on what length you ski. (178 is 83)). It does not have a huge shovel so it is decent in bumps. High speed, low speed, it does it all for ME, But give it a try.

I used to ski K2 PE's, and these are by far a much better ski.

SKIQUATTRO

I concur with the Atomic Metron comment, I've been an Atomic skiier for years, for some reason the Metrons arent holding up to the Atomic name...I'm looking for some Snoops

NESkibum

The problem that you are going to run into when trying to get one ski to both carve on fast groomers and ski bumps is that a true high performance carving ski will be too stiff and have a too much sidecut for the bumps while a true bump ski probably won't carve and hold a turn the way you want it. Also if you are considering going to school out west and want to take the ski with you look for a ski that is atlease over 80 under foot to help you float. I think you'll find that the AC40 will be a great ski for most of the mountain but will be a bit stiff in the bumps. With that said here are a few skis that I have and do most things pretty well.

Volkl Mantra - I bought this ski last year and love it. I have been on everything from ice in the Northeast to powder and trees in Aspen. The ski is a bit wider compared to the AC40 but can still carve when you lay it on edge and will also float when you need it. The one thing it doesn't do well it are true bumps...it's just too stiff.

Dynastar Trouble Maker - Better in the bumps than at high speeds. Will still hold an edge but can get a little squirley if you really get on it.

Armada AR6 - Middle of the road between the other two listed above. Could be your best option of the three. I little stiffer and wider than the trouble maker but definitely more narrow than the Mantra.

Salomon Gun - I skied this ski at Squaw last year and really liked it for the snow they have out there. Closer to the Mantra in width but definitely softer and more forgiving. Could still get on it when I wanted to but also smashed through crud when needed.

Best things to do like suggested above is demo a few pairs and see what you like before buying.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have last year's B2's in a 174. I'm not sure how they compare to a B74. My opinion on this ski is that it's okay for carving groomers, okay for bumps, very good in crud and powder. It is most certainly an all mountain ski.

That said, it leaves a lot to be desired when carving hardpack, doesn't seem torsionally stiff enough. In hard snow bumps, the width of the tips can be a challenge. I enjoy my 2003 B3's much better in the bumps.

One thing to consider is buying this years equipment, next year. Then if you shop right, you can get two pairs of boards for the price of one and have different equipment for the different types of conditions you plan on skiing. As an example, this fall I got last years B2's with Rossi Axial bindings for $320 total including shipping. Just a thought

WWF-VT

I recently did a demo day each on the Rossignol Bandit B78 and Dynastar Legend 8000. My current skis are Fischer RX8's.

Both were similar mid-fats. In my opinion the Rossignols were better on the groomers/hard pack and the Legends were rock solid in softer snow and the woods. For a second pair of skis I am leaning toward the Legends

tjf67

thanks rivercoil. I am gonna look at some demo days and see what I think. I demoed the Rossi B74s and really liked 'em. If I had to choose bumps or groomers, i'd pick the groomers, but I don't want a ski that'll cripple me in the bumps. I'll check out the Volkls and the atomic skis mentinaed above.

I take my AC4 in the bumps. They are the same thing as the ac40 with a newer top sheet. When the bumps are hard they are no good. When they are soft you can make your own lins cause they are pretty good at bashing through things. Look at the K-2 recons as well. A little damper or more middle of the road.

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
Both were similar mid-fats. In my opinion the Rossignols were better on the groomers/hard pack and the Legends were rock solid in softer snow and the woods. For a second pair of skis I am leaning toward the Legends

How were the legends on more solid stuff? I had been looking at those as well. Backcountry sells the legends w/out bindings, though.

WWF-VT

How were the legends on more solid stuff? I had been looking at those as well. Backcountry sells the legends w/out bindings, though.

Others have commented here that the Legends are not the best on real hard pack. For fun I did take them down a NASTAR course at Sugarbush. I was fortunate to ski the B78's and Legends on back to back soft snow days.

Greg

Staff member
I'm on 2007 Legend 8000s this year and love them. For my style, they're fine on the groomers and rock on any type of natural snow, uneven terrain, bumps. Haven't really dipped into the trees with them yet, but I'm sure they will excel there too. You're not going to find a ski that does it all. For me I can deal with any shortcomings the Legends apparently have on the groomers as that's the terrain I ski the least. In all honesty though, I think they ski pretty well on the flats too.