• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 1/25/08

Zand

Date(s) Skied: Friday Night 1/25/08

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: PP

Trip Report:

Good night at Wachusett tonight. Temps were in the 10s and things were mostly hardpack and good packed snow. Crowds were about average for a Friday night... not insane but pretty big for a while.

Balance Rock / Conifer: Balance Rock was actually very good... instead of the usual scraped mess it was good edgeable hardpack. Guess a few days of good snowmaking works well. Roper's was also open too... the snowmaking is for real over there. Conifer was in good shape with pretty big lumps of loose snow on the trail before grooming.

10th: Hit it before and after grooming. Before, it was full of LSGR to the right like usual and had hardpack and packed snow to the left... the bottom was fast and had nice air on the last leg of 10th like usual... pretty fun going down that last part. After grooming, the entire thing was PP.

Smith: They started grooming very early tonight so I didn't get a chance to get down there before grooming, but I got first run when it opened and it was beautiful. Upper was in great shape and lower had lots of snowmaking whales for air. I skied it at 9 and it was still in great shape... don't know why but this trail has been holding up good all year compared to the last couple years when it would be all scraped after about an hour. Polar Express was slow early and then was sped up with waits ranging from ski on at 4 to 5 minutes at 7 to 1-2 minutes at 9.

Frannie's: Hitchcock had some nice snowmaking whales on the approach. There was a very nasty sheet of glare ice right at the entrance to Frannie's which sent many people sliding right into the crowd at the top of the park. Don't know what that was all about. Park is still unchanged from the past couple weeks.

Look Mom: Park is back open and I managed to sneak in for a few seconds when they weren't checking for passes. The current setup is the best it's been in years. Plenty of hits on both sides and a lot more features than past years. The halfpipe was good for a Wachusett pipe, but I was spoiled a bit after playing in Mt. Snow's pipe Monday.

Challenger: Had a lot of snowmaking whales from the top right down to the race shack. From there it was good racing snow.

Ralph's: Also full of whales top to bottom, some good enough for a few pops of air. I remember having fun on those whales on Ralph's when I was a beginner and it was cool doing it again. Minuteman was in its normal speed with waits of 5-7 minutes at times and shorter at times also.

I'll have another report Sunday night.