• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Goggles that are compatible with the Giro G10

bvibert

Staff member
I actually love the sticky inside of the Spy straps. Keeps it solidly in place, and I never have a problem putting them up or down. I guess to each his own.

My straps never move on goggles without the sticky stuff.

bvibert

Staff member
Thats strange how we're direct opposites. My goggles without sticky straps would always pop off the helmet and end up dangling in the back.

OK, maybe I shouldn't say they NEVER moved, because that has happened on rare occasions. It's not enough to warrant the annoying sticky stuff though, IMHO.

BTW, I'm one of those guys that strongly resists change, even if it only slightly annoys me... ;)

tomaso12

The Crowbars came yesterday and they fit under the helmet much better than my Smiths. The strap seems really tight though despite being as loose as it can go. Anyone else notice this?

I have a G10 (size M) with Oakley Wisdoms w/ the optional helmet strap kit...same problem. It is okay when everything is on, but taking the googles off is impossible, unless i unclip the strap off the goggles.

Mildcat

The Crowbars came yesterday and they fit under the helmet much better than my Smiths. The strap seems really tight though despite being as loose as it can go. Anyone else notice this?

Just got some crowbars with the gold iridium lens on SAC and they look like they were made for the G10. Much better fit than the Smith Regulators I had. Now I just need some snow to try them out.

Geoff

I have a Giro Omen size L. I use the Smith Phenom Turbo. I have several lenses for them: Yellow, RC-36, and Sensor Mirror which is a rose color. I've been using fan goggles for the last decade after having huge issues on a big powder day doing laps riding the Snowbird tram. Fogging just ain't an issue.

As other people are saying, you need to try lots of different goggles with your helmet. Everybody has a different head shape.

bvibert

Staff member

I wish I had read this thread more carefully. I just got a G10 and Crowbars (based on this thread) and the strap seems really tight on mine as well. Did they end up working well for you anyway Greg?

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I have a G10 and basically any good goggle with a flat top of the frame should fit fine. We sell Giro and Smith and Oakley. Giro does make some good goggles and they fit very well. If you look at the top of your Crowbar, it's not flat. Take a look at Geoff's Smith Turbo Fan goggles, the top of the frame is flat, easy to fit for almost any helmet.

The Crowbar is a very popular goggle and the helmet has to fit perfect for them to work meaning the helmet should come down just above the eyebrow. If you have alot of forehead showing either the helmet is too small or you need to adjust it bigger.

As far as the strap goes, assuming you have it adjusted to as big as it goes and it still too tight then you need to buy an extender. I would call around as not all shops carry them.

This is why buying them in a shop where you can actually try them on is sometimes worth more than saving a few bucks. I would never buy goggles or a helmet before trying them on first.

Geoff - we carry the Smith Turbo but don't sell very many. Does the battery last a whole season? They are pricey but you do get several lens and the few we sell the guests come back and swear by them.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
I wish I had read this thread more carefully. I just got a G10 and Crowbars (based on this thread) and the strap seems really tight on mine as well. Did they end up working well for you anyway Greg?

I think either I got used to it or the strap stretched a bit. In either case, it didn't end up annoying me enough to do much about it. YMMV.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
By far, the best goggle to wear with the G10 is the Oakley Crowbar. Giro has also came out with their own branded goggle to fit with the G10 known as Root. It looks alot like the Crowbar but I have not yet tried it on to see what the fit is like.

I gotta get those!:spin:

o3jeff

After reading this I just went and put my helmet on(G10) along with my new Crowbars and they didn't seem to tight to me. The strap was adjusted out all the way and my helmet is a size small so that probably helps.

bvibert

Staff member
The Crowbar is a very popular goggle and the helmet has to fit perfect for them to work meaning the helmet should come down just above the eyebrow. If you have alot of forehead showing either the helmet is too small or you need to adjust it bigger.

The helmet comes down to within an inch or less of my eyebrows, I think it fits fine.

As far as the strap goes, assuming you have it adjusted to as big as it goes and it still too tight then you need to buy an extender. I would call around as not all shops carry them.

How would an extender work? There's no clips or anything on the strap.

bvibert

Staff member
After reading this I just went and put my helmet on(G10) along with my new Crowbars and they didn't seem to tight to me. The strap was adjusted out all the way and my helmet is a size small so that probably helps.

Mine is a medium, you'd think that the straps would fit that too.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to go with a different goggle with this helmet, too bad I really like the goggles otherwise.

o3jeff

I'm thinking I'm going to have to go with a different goggle with this helmet, too bad I really like the goggles otherwise.

Try out the Giro Roots, $25 at TJ Maxx.

What lens did you get? I got the Black irradium which seem kinda dark at night.

Greg

Staff member

You're in a size medium? I didn't realize you were such a pinhead. ;) Large here...

bvibert

Staff member
You're in a size medium? I didn't realize you were such a pinhead. ;) Large here...

I was surprised too, my old helmet (Boeri) is an XL (I think, there's no marking on it). A large G10 was quite loose on my head so I tried a medium and it fit rather nicely.