• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's focus on Suburus for a second.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
From Edmunds:
Fuel economy is much the same as before, with an EPA-rated 20 mpg city/26 mpg highway for the normally aspirated engine and 19 mpg city/24 mpg highway for the turbo.
Sigh. I continue to dream that in another 3-5 years when my Outback is ready for replacement, that by then Subaru will have a hybrid or other technology to get that mileage to at least the 30's if not 40's. I love my car to bits, but given the cost of gas...

wa-loaf

much uglier than the old car.
Plus the XT no longer comes with a manual transmission.

Disagree about the looks, but it is sad that it's getting harder and harder to find good manual transmission cars.

From Edmunds:
Sigh. I continue to dream that in another 3-5 years when my Outback is ready for replacement, that by then Subaru will have a hybrid or other technology to get that mileage to at least the 30's if not 40's. I love my car to bits, but given the cost of gas...

Diesel boxer coming at you in 2010: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0801_subaru_boxer_turbodiesel_first_drive/

campgottagopee

From Edmunds:

Like WA-LOAF said, think diesle. I'm not convinced that Hybrid is the way to go.

hammer

Like WA-LOAF said, think diesle. I'm not convinced that Hybrid is the way to go.
Neither am I...

I read that hybrid batteries have a lifespan of somewhere near 100K miles and that they can cost $3000 to replace. If this is correct, with this guaranteed "maintenance cost" plus the additional up-front costs, I don't see hybrids being much of a bargain even if gas costs go much higher than they are now.

Of course, diesel is $1 more per gallon where I live so diesels aren't all that cost effective at this point either...:sad:

mlctvt

The consensus on the Subaru forums is that most preferred the old car since it was unique, but everyone agrees that this new "SUV" will sell better than the old "CAR" at least to Americans. The lack of a manual transmission is pushing enthusiasts
to the Outback or WRX, or to other manufacturers.

campgottagopee

The consensus on the Subaru forums is that most preferred the old car since it was unique, but everyone agrees that this new "SUV" will sell better than the old "CAR" at least to Americans. The lack of a manual transmission is pushing enthusiasts
to the Outback or WRX, or to other manufacturers.

I didn't find the old car unique at all, but that's just me. I found it quite boring.

Can still get a stick not just w/ a turbo. Hard to find sticks in most any "performance" SUV's nowadays.

mlctvt

The "unique" part was it was labeled an SUV but it actually was just a tall car. Subaru was the first to come out with a car, um SUV like this. May other brands copied and now offer tall cars too.
If I had to buy a SUV, and I don't because my Legacy GT wagon is actually larger and hauls more than most small SUVs, the first one I'd consider was the Forester XT manual. Probably because it was the most un-SUV like SUV. It actually handled quite well and that's probably why many publications rated it the best small SUV for years. The new '09 is just like every other one now. Many say, why buy the Forester when you can get a small SUV from Toyota (RAV-4), Honda CRV or Element, etc?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Oooh, diesel Outback. Interesting. More expensive fuel but 50mpg is still a positive move environmental-wise. I wonder how that diesel engine's going to fare, though, trying to start it at a trailhead in the mountains at 5 or 10 degrees below zero (F).

bvibert

Staff member
Oooh, diesel Outback. Interesting. More expensive fuel but 50mpg is still a positive move environmental-wise. I wonder how that diesel engine's going to fare, though, trying to start it at a trailhead in the mountains at 5 or 10 degrees below zero (F).

Better bring a backup generator to run the block heater just in case... ;)

campgottagopee

I'm bettin they'll think of something

wa-loaf

I have a 1600 Yakima on mine and it fits. It is as far forward as I can get it and the gate just barely hits it. This is on the factory rack. If you lift if up higher on a set of cross bars, I think you can get a bigger box on it.

BeanoNYC

I have a 1600 Yakima on mine and it fits. It is as far forward as I can get it and the gate just barely hits it. This is on the factory rack. If you lift if up higher on a set of cross bars, I think you can get a bigger box on it.

Interesting. Well I have the Thule crossbars already so I wonder how much bigger I can go. I'm partial to Thule, so I have 2 questions:

1) Do you know the length of your Yakima?
2) With it mounted so far forward, does it chatter at all?

wa-loaf

Interesting. Well I have the Thule crossbars already so I wonder how much bigger I can go. I'm partial to Thule, so I have 2 questions:

1) Do you know the length of your Yakima?
2) With it mounted so far forward, does it chatter at all?

1. Not sure, but it can't hold much longer than a pair of 180s
2. No.

I just went to a rack shop that let me try a few on the car. Both the Thule 1600 and the Yakima 1600 fit. I think the Yakima was a little cheaper so I went with it.

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

1. Not sure, but it can't hold much longer than a pair of 180s
2. No.

I just went to a rack shop that let me try a few on the car. Both the Thule 1600 and the Yakima 1600 fit. I think the Yakima was a little cheaper so I went with it.

Picked up a Thule Evolution 1600 today. Found it on Craigslist for $250. Fits the Outback perfectly. Thanks for the help!

SKIQUATTRO

I've been a Thule guy since 1988...however, if i had to do again, i'd get the Yak boxes...they have a better handle to turn the lock rather than just using the leverage of the Thule key that feels it'll break if you go too hard...(and i've seen em break!!)