• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's focus on Suburus for a second.

danny p

thanks for all the input guys. my gf is buying hers in the next week or so, so we have been test driving outbacks with the sport shift auto, pretty nice, decent power (drove another one last night). When I buy mine it will be 5 speed, but since that won't be for 6-12 months, gonna wait on the test drive. I have been very impressed by the outback ever since I started looking at them. I never had any intention of ever buying a subaru until I went on the lot and started looking at/driving them. They definately seem like the most practical car for snow sport enthusiasts like us.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
When I buy mine it will be 5 speed, but since that won't be for 6-12 months

Gonna take that long for it to get here?
:)

No, seriously, finding a 5-speed on the lot can be extremely difficult and ordering can take a while, so start your search sooner than you might think. When my friend bought his he was told it was one of the last half-dozen of them in all of the northeast.

danny p

Gonna take that long for it to get here?
:)

No, seriously, finding a 5-speed on the lot can be extremely difficult and ordering can take a while, so start your search sooner than you might think. When my friend bought his he was told it was one of the last half-dozen of them in all of the northeast.

I know, I have already been looking/asking around. Local dealer I spoke with said they had a 5spd outback last week on the lot for two days and sold. He said the last 5spd before that was 3 months ago (these are pre-owned I am referring to). I am already saving extra in anticipation that I will have to order a new one, when I would rather find a demo or slightly used one. No way am I going for auto, made that mistake last car and hate driving it.

danny p

just saw on subaru.com that you can't get a 5 spd and moonroof unless you spend the extra 6k on the turbo model. lame!! two things I went without on my present car, will not buy another car without both.

urban07sti

I'm a Subaru owner as well, and love them. I've owned a few other AWD cars in the past, but this was my first Subaru. The others were turbo 4 cylinders as well. My STI is awesome in the snow and a blast to drive. It's pretty cool that I can take out mustangs, C5 vettes, among other performance cars (especially in the twisties), yet still fire up to the mountain. Not sure if you were interested in the model I have though, the STI has some getting used to it with normal around town driving, out on a raceroad or open road, plus kills it in the snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Campgottagopee

How is the new outback sport? The re-design looks a bit smaller than the previous model. I'm assuming you've test drove one?

wa-loaf

just saw on subaru.com that you can't get a 5 spd and moonroof unless you spend the extra 6k on the turbo model. lame!! two things I went without on my present car, will not buy another car without both.

Maybe they've changed it since the 05 version, but you used be able to get a limited package with the moonroof without the turbo. So if you want to go used I'd keep an eye out for one coming off of a lease or something. RE: 5spd availability. We didn't have much trouble finding one a couple years ago. We got ours at Anchor Subaru in N Smithfield RI. Nice people there too, moved too far away from them and I'm not nearly as impressed with my new local dealer.

campgottagopee

Campgottagopee

How is the new outback sport? The re-design looks a bit smaller than the previous model. I'm assuming you've test drove one?

The entire Impreza line-up has been a HUGE hit this year. The car is "sneaky" bigger than previous years (someone can actually sit in the backseat), but yet still has a very compact feel and drive to it. The "Outback Sport" is nothing other than a "trim" level. IMO it's not worth the extra $1000.00 over the Impreza w/ premium package for what you get. 1k just sounds like a lot to me for heated seats and 17" alloys---but that's what makes the world go 'round. Imp w/ premium is the buy.

campgottagopee

That's true now. If you can find a 06 or older, you're in. Sport shift not enough for you???

campgottagopee

gimme a clutch!!! :razz:

I figured----I'm old, so the sportshift works fine for me. Prob is we just didn't sell that many LTD Ouback sticks so finding a used one will be REAL tough. Givien enough time you'll come up with something.

danny p

I figured----I'm old, so the sportshift works fine for me. Prob is we just didn't sell that many LTD Ouback sticks so finding a used one will be REAL tough. Givien enough time you'll come up with something.

yeah, i'm probably gonna have to save some extra $$$ and get the turbo model. if i'm spending the money, i really don't want to settle for a car that doesn't have 5spd/moonroof. Luckily, my current car is still running fine, so it's not like I need to find one now. With a little patience, something will work out.

campgottagopee

yeah, i'm probably gonna have to save some extra $$$ and get the turbo model. if i'm spending the money, i really don't want to settle for a car that doesn't have 5spd/moonroof. Luckily, my current car is still running fine, so it's not like I need to find one now. With a little patience, something will work out.

If you get the XT you'll luv it----I drove one for a month or so not too long ago. Great car with a stick!!!

danny p

If you get the XT you'll luv it----I drove one for a month or so not too long ago. Great car with a stick!!!

yeah, a former co-worker stopped by my office today, and we got talking about cars, told him i'm looking at subarus. He goes outside and shows me his 06 xt. Gave me the full tour. Looks amazing. He said it took him a while to get used to how much power those things have. I gotta stop talking about subarus, ha! If you happen to have any of them come through your dealership, shoot me a pm. Being as rare as 5spds are, I'd probably be willing to make the trip up there.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
D'oh! Now I want a new one, even though mine is only 5 years old, 104K, will be paid off next month, and will live a lot longer. Maybe if I go crash it ... again ... ???

wintersyndrome

Drive an 07 Forester...happy with it bought it in May and have since put nearly 30K on it...I guess I drive a little bit.

Love the AWD but I should have splurged for the heated seats.

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

dmc

My Forrester is loaded up with a 7 piece drumkit right now...

bvibert

Staff member
That link did not go directly to any video, but one of the new videos was the hilarious Silverman F'ing Matt Damon, great stuff. One of my friends just posted this video in his blog showing a WRX doing ski jumps at a resort:
http://jalopnik.com/348672/get-that-damn-car-off-of-the-hill

It's the same video, this looks like the link they were going after..

http://www.dumpalink.com/videos/Snowbarding_subaru-i613.html

The Sarah Silverman video is funny stuff too, I saw that last night...