• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's focus on Suburus for a second.

BeanoNYC

Well thanks for all the advice guys. Just picked up my new outback, black on black. Picked it up in a snowstorm no less! Handled great. A special thanks goes to camgottagopee who patiently answered all my PM's and gave me invaluable advice during this buying process. ...I owe you a few beers!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Well thanks for all the advice guys. Just picked up my new outback, black on black. Picked it up in a snowstorm no less! Handled great. A special thanks goes to camgottagopee who patiently answered all my PM's and gave me invaluable advice during this buying process. ...I owe you a few beers!

Good luck and may it serve your well!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Sweet Rich!!! Can't wait for you to drive me north ;-)

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Back to Subie's...........I think the Outback is a handsome car......I shot this picture of my Outback about a year ago....I think it's the center lump.

valstorm2.jpg

SKIQUATTRO

I've been actually toying with the idea of trading in/selling the Audi and picking up a Subie...the new styling (not the 08's) really has been catching my eye...I think they are great cars, last forever, fairly cheap to service (compared to the A4), have the ground clearance when needed, good gas mileage...all around a no brainer. Stick shifts are hard to find (esp one coming off a lease...)

Hey CAMP...if you see anything let me know!!

thanks

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've been actually toying with the idea of trading in/selling the Audi and picking up a Subie...the new styling (not the 08's) really has been catching my eye...I think they are great cars, last forever, fairly cheap to service (compared to the A4), have the ground clearance when needed, good gas mileage...all around a no brainer. Stick shifts are hard to find (esp one coming off a lease...)

thanks

So, would you change your name on here to SKIBARU??

hammer

OK, I see a lot of Suburus around Ski Country. My ski buddy has an outback and loves it. My truck is, yet again, in the shop and I'm thinking about cutting my losses. I've put 75K of both highway and heavy city (read: Belt Parkway, everyday) on it since 2004 and am likely to do the same on my next vehicle. I'm also foreseeing 0% financing within the next month during Feb Sales. My suburu questions (In no particular order):

1) Reliable or not?
2) Service costs for maintenance.
3) How good are they in foul weather, particularly snow.
4) Symmetrical AWD vs AWD vs 4WD
5) Outback vs. Forrester
6) Good on gas?

Thanks in advance. DMC, I may recall that you drive a suburu, no?
Here are my answers for whatever they are worth...

I bought a 1998 Legacy Outback back in November 98 and I've put about 151K miles on it.

1) I was unfortunate enough to have the head gasket problem that the 2.5L engines are notorious for...$2000 to fix about 1 year ago. :-x In addition, I've had a handful of other smaller issues (persistent exhaust heat shield rattle, wiper blade linkage, oil pump problem under warranty). Finally, I've recently been having some indications that the automatic transmission's days are numbered...I had a fluid flush done but time will tell.

If it weren't for the head gasket problem I'd say that the reliability is on par with the Acura Integra that I previously owned and the Toyota Highlander I have now.

2) I get my car serviced at a local shop now, but the Subaru dealer costs for maintenance weren't too bad...a bit less expensive than my Toyota.

3) I don't go through the trouble of getting snow tires, so the handling isn't what it can be...however, I think that the Subaru does a great job in the snow (better than my Toyota). Never have had to worry about getting through any unplowed backroads.

4) Can't speak for that one...I just think that the Subaru AWD system does a nice job.

5) I like the Forrester, but with a teen son and tween daughter the back seat room in the current version just isn't enough for me. I'm considering checking into the new Imprezas...I sat in one at the last Boston Auto Show and I was pleasantly surprised by the back seat room in them.

6) No, IMO...but I guess that's what you get with having a boxer engine and AWD. Still better than most SUVs.

hammer

Hammer... you know it's recommended to change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles? Most people don't do that...
Yep, I'm aware of that.

If the fluid changes weren't done then it was the dealer's fault...I faithfully took the car in for regular maintenance at the 30K intervals. Even remembered to get the timing belt replaced when it was recommended.

My knowledge of car issues is limited to what I gleam off of the Internet and what my mechanic explains to me (guess that puts my manhood down a notch or two ;-)), but I try to make sure that my cars get regularly maintained...I'm actually disappointed that I may not see my Outback to at least 200K miles.

mlctvt

thanks

Make sure you drive one first! They handle terribly compared to an A4 due to the high suspension. That's the reason I searched for and bought an '05 Legacy GT limited wagon, the only year they made the manual. The Legacy wagons were available through '07 with automatic tansmissions. Much good information on both legacys and outbacks on www.legacygt.com.